2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Next big mod!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
bigtman07
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next big mod!

Hey guys I know it's been a while since I have been posting. Summertime is busy time. But I have came up with a plan for my next big mod and I'm looking for some guidance. For my next big mod I'm going to get new intake heads and a cam. But I have no idea where to start. If anyone could give me some ideas on where to start my search. I don't understand cam or head specs. So explanations on that would be great. If not find me a good setup for towing and general driving. I sue my truck for everything from towing to my dd. So I need a good complimenting setup. Any info to help get me started would be great. oh yea a tune is in there too but need to know what hardware I need first. Thanks guys.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=26112

that is the hughes top end power kit.

Have you ever done a cam install? I hope you have tools.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM
bigtman07
Captain

I don't have the tools in my shop but where I am doing it has all the tools I need. I should be able to do it all without pulling the engine right?? Any idea on numbers for that kit?? Like 300 hp 300 ft tq?? I'm throwin random numbers out here.

Last edited by bigtman07; 09-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

That package will get you approximately:

250 RWHP
350 ft/lb RWtq
*** WITH A PROPER TUNE*** So an extra 350 dollars for the SCT

No, you will not have top pull the engine HOWEVER, you will have to pull the radiator and aux tranny cooler, and unbolt the AC condenser and slide it down just enough so you can slip the cam in. It is a BIG job.

I would just get some heads, 1.7 RRs (harland sharp non adjustable), Headers (JBAs), Plenum plate instead of a new intake, FMS 24# injectors. And depending on your mileage, get the hughes timing chain.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
bigtman07
Captain

I already did the plenum kit last fall. Seems to have held up well. I have to pull the heads anyway cause they may be warped because of my truck throwing the belt last winter so I have to have them checked anyway. So I was gonna see what the new heads were gonna cost and you know all the supporting mods you have to do with head mods. As far as numbers for some reason I had the number 280 in my brain don't know why.

So lets say my heads aren't warped and I get them rebuilt. Springs valves and all that along with a cleaning. I could do the RR's headers and injectors with an sct and get similar power??

Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Parts list:

1. Hughes timing chain
2. Iron Ram Heads with 2.02 valves (if you want to save $500 by not getting the edelbrock heads)
3. Harland sharp 1.7RRs (gives more valve lift without doing a cam)
4. JBA titanium ceramic coated headers (I just installed them...really good. I have owned edelbrocks before, and these are better)
5. Hughes Plenum plate kit and new intake bolts (necessary to get the new intake bolts, they are torque to yeild or TTY, meaning you can only torque them down ONCE and can't be reused). However leeping about 4 of the old intake bolts, cutting off the heads makes lining up the intake for re0install MUCH better.
6. SCT Tuner from hemifever (pm hemifever on this forum). Once you have your parts list, give him all the data and he will make a custom tune for you in 3 different octanes. Plus you get unlimited custom tunes as you upgrade.

THat is about $2500 for all that. I would actually do everything EXCEPT the heads for now. Then save for some heads later on. So $1500 and you will have a truck with some GOOD power that you just might be happy enough with to not want to do anything more.

Then later on down the road, you can try:
FMS 24# injectors from fuelinjectorconnection.com or five0motorsports.com
MSD box and coil
WIdeband AFR gauge (for another custom tune)

--Dan

Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

[QUOTE=bigtman07;2269781]I already did the plenum kit last fall. Seems to have held up well. I have to pull the heads anyway cause they may be warped because of my truck throwing the belt last winter so I have to have them checked anyway. So I was gonna see what the new heads were gonna cost and you know all the supporting mods you have to do with head mods. As far as numbers for some reason I had the number 280 in my brain don't know why.

So lets say my heads aren't warped and I get them rebuilt. Springs valves and all that along with a cleaning. I could do the RR's headers and injectors with an sct and get similar power??[/QUOTE]

If you get the ehads rebuilt with 2,02 valves, then yes, a little. HOWEVER, the stock heads are prone to cracking, so I would just get new heads. i shy away from aluminum heads, because if you run hot with them...it is bad news. They warp much faster than iron.

If you want to go a little less expensive than the Irom Ram 2.02 valve heads, go to engine quest and get the EQ/Clearwater heads for the magnum.

You won't need special springs for the roller rockers. I have them on my stock heads and springs.

I do my mods slowly so i can really see what mods work well.

OH, forgot to mention:

fastman 50 or 52mm throttle body. 50MM if you have a 5.2OR a 5.9 and you use it for towing. 52MM if you have a 5.9.
www.thefastman.com

Wait on the intake. THat is an expensive part and the stock intake does pretty well. I still have the stocker. 599 for the hughes airgap is a bit spendy.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
bigtman07
Captain

Thanks Dan I appreciate all the leg work you have done for me. I wasn't expecting someone to do most of the research for me. But thank you saves me a lot of time. I was planning on doing the a/f gauge and the fastman TB. So I'll be looking at all the options you put out there for me. Thanks again.

I know the stock heads are known to crack. That's why I have to pull them to see if they are. Cause if they aren't and I'm only imagining things then I wasn't gonna spend the extra. But you do have a point on changing the heads anyway to avoid them cracking in the future.

Last edited by bigtman07; 09-21-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I have been researching this for YEARS. When I had my 5.2 I wanted to do heads and maybe a cam. But I don't know if I can tackle the cam install, so i went to 1.7s.

I want to get heads next year (part of my plans). But I am pretty happy without them. However, if I was in your boat about them possibly being warped, I would get new heads. If they are still good. Hold off on the heads.

Here is a good read if you want to do the cam install. But be prepared to do the work!

http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...p?topic=9197.0
Mods like I suggested, and he had only 10 less RWHP and 60 ft lbs more torque than a hemi.

All he did with heads was get some used R/T heads with 2.02 valves. I would not buy used heads though.

He also got a crank pulley. As do I, but not installed yet.

Last edited by CPTAFW163; 09-21-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Salex007
Captain

Get the EQ Monster Magnum Heads from Clearwater, about $900 for a assembled set. These are direct bolt on heads and many people have these. Like above get the harland sharp 1.7 from southeast performance cheapest place to get them. Will need a tuner as well. If torque is what you want stick with the kegger. Get a 52mm throttle body, new timing chain, complete tune up. Could get headers with a highflow cat to help with some noise making.