2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

starter wouldent quit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
97dodge4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy starter wouldent quit?

ok so i went to start my truck up and once it was running it seemed a little more noisy than it normally runs, so i went to turn the truck off and it kept turning over, and i would turn the key all the way to the off position it was still cranking over, after figuring out what to do, i disconected the battery and sure enough it stopped cranking, than i hooked the battery back up and fired it back up, but the starter disengaged(like it should), so i repeadedly started it and turned it off 5 or 6 times and it has not done it again. so is this a sign that my starter is going to take a dump, or is it a bad connection somwhere please help

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might have a sticky starter solenoid, or a sticky start relay in the PDC. The relay in the power distribution center is easier to get at and test. The problem now is that the symptom is gone so testing would be fruitless. So...

What you might wish to do is to remove the cover from the PDC and identify the start relay from the legend in the lid. Then when this happens again, quickly pop the hood, jump out, open the PDC, and pull that relay out. If the starter disengages you just got lucky and the fix is a relatively cheap relay. If the starter does not disengage you've got a sticky solenoid.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM
97dodge4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alrighty, thanks for the help man

Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chewgoddit. Please come back and let us know later what it turns out to be.

Quick Reply: starter wouldent quit?