2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel bearing check?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so would you say i should replace the axle shaft when i do the seal, or just the seal as at has already been replaced and still leaks?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

also i was under the impression that there was only 1 bearing on the axle shaft, where is "the large bearing and small bushing" located?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you remove the cad and fork you'll see the 2 axle halves on the passenger side.

the inner axle has a stub on the the end and the outer half has a receiving cavity machined in. there is a small bushing in this cavity. the bushing is a wear out point which can cause the 2 halves to be misaligned, as well as flop about against the seal.

in the inside edge of the cad, there is large bushing tapped into a block in the axle tube which supports the axle. this bushing is the exact diameter of the axle. this large bushing is interchangeable with a little cage bearing that was used in earlier years. this is also a wear out point that can allow the axle to flop around.

i'd inspect the axle and see if it needs replacing or not. if it has a groove worn in the seal journal, or a damaged surface, then i'd replace it. if its smooth as a baby's butt like most of them are, then i wouldn't replace it. they are solid steel, so it might be damaged or it might not. if it is i'd damn sure want to see it. the more likely damage is on the splines of the inner axle where it may have ground against the collar. mine was sort of burr'ed up but i was able to file out the burrs and make it good as new. not hard, just took about 15 minutes of filing.

when re-installing, don't put the seal in too soon. you have to install the large inner bushing/bearing first. then the inner axle half. then put the small bushing in the outer half while at the work bench. then the seal. then the collar - don't foget the collar. then the outer half of the axle.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

is the collar the piece that connects the two shafts? i dont have to remove the carrier, correct? how do you install the large bushing?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

i guess i need to take it apart and do some parts evaluation and see whats messed up and whats not, will any damage be apparent or could it be the most subtle of things?

Quick Reply: wheel bearing check?