2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

removing box diy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:46 PM
sh00tas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing box diy?

Hello out there, I got a 1994 ram 8 foot box, 2wd, want to remove the box.. I

know theres people that have removed it, is it hard, alot of bolts? Thx

Old 09-25-2010, 04:09 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty easy, so much so I did it solo with my short box off my Indy.
There were only 6 bolts holding the bed to the frame.
Passenger side there is a ground wire from bed to cab.
Also have to disconnect the rubber fuel hose from the filler neck to the tank & cover it up well so no crap gets in the line.
A freezer bag & electrical tape will do the trick.

Put 4 large eyelets into the trusses in my garage above where I planned to lift it.
Used 4-2" ratchet straps to lift it.
I had my tail lights out so used inside of frame there, can use the tie downs at the rear inside of bed though.
In the bed just used the front tie downs at the bottom of the bed.
I used some old rags & such to protect the paint from any chaffing.
Had it so the truck was a bit forward so when I lifted the front then the back it moved towards the back of the truck instead of swinging forward into the cab.
I also put some cardboard & foam between them just to make sure (Indy gets babied lol)
Just took a bit of time synching up each strap a bit at a time all the way around.

Having the bed off makes it alot easier to change out a fuel pump or clean, sand & paint the frame (in my case)

Last edited by RM_Indy; 09-25-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:09 PM
sh00tas

thanks alot, by the way are there just bolts that you remove..No nuts, the box is bolted on the crossmebers?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bolts screw into the box which is threaded, no nuts
If you look closely at the last pic you can see where the bolts are located
The frame looks blacker where the contact point is cause there is no dirt there.
The upright piece ahead of the front hanger, the middle bolt is ahead of the axle right where the frame finishes rising.
The last bolt is just ahead of the shackle.

Oh forgot to mention, disconnect the wiring harness into the tail lights

Last edited by RM_Indy; 09-25-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 AM
techmike
Rookie

That's a pretty fancy bed lifting mechanism there. When I took mine off to replace the fuel pump I had three of my buddies help me lift and walk it behind the truck.

Make sure you set it down on two 4x4's or something similar to keep the bed off the ground. Not going to harm it if you set it on the dirt but sure makes it easier to pick it up.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken I believe the 8 foot box will have 8 bolts holding it. My '99 Dakota long bed did. Other than that it's just as the others said, taillight wiring, fuel filler neck, and sometimes there's a ground wire. On the filler neck you can just remove the gas cap then the screws holding it to the bed and push it out. The rubber part will flex enough to remove it. That way when the bed is off you can just put the cap back on to cover it.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:54 PM
sh00tas

well im gonna check it out tmr after work, I found a box for good price. Might remove the box and fix my lights to the frame so I can atleast drive the truck. Ill only be getting the box on the weekend... aaaa. Hopefully I wont get pulled over lol. Since the new box is from the scrap yard, im probably going to prpbably clean up the old threads and get new bolts. Thx for all the replys again

Quick Reply: removing box diy?