2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS light go away!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
passin'thetime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light go away!!!

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have a couple of problems with a 2000 Ram I'm hoping somebody can help me with. The first problem is the ABS is staying and the ABS module and speed sensor have both been replaced. The other problem is the parking lights are staying on with the truck off and the light switch off. They are even staying on when you pull the fuse out for them.

Last edited by passin'thetime; 09-28-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: misunderstood the mechanic's diagnoses
Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's something wrong here. Either, someone re-wired the lighting CKT because, in any lamp CKT, there's a fuse on the B+ side PRIOR to the switch and, from that fuse, source flows through the mechanical switch which connects the load side and power flows through the load to ground.

I have pulled those headlamp switches apart to see how those function and also have fixed them for many in a pinch until they could get a new one. Now, in a 2000 model, you've got a different mechanical switch than I am familiar with. Without seeing the switch there's no way of knowing but, it may be that the switch inside is not moving internally thus ON all the time and, since the B+ is directly attached to the headlamp switch (to allow the end user to turn ON the headlamps without having to turn the vehicle on), this is why the lights end up staying on while the vehicle is off.

Now, without seeing / knowing WHICH fuse you pulled, I don't know if you've pulled the correct fuse or not but, if you were to pull the correct fuse and, if it were not re-wired, NO POWER would be fed to the headlamp switch thus, no power would be seen on the load side so, based on that, it may be quite possible that the wrong fuse was pulled.

If such is NOT the case, it is also quite possible that the source was re-wired and is not derived from the OEM fuse thus, the reason why when pulling that fuse the lights remain ON.

Try going through one fuse at a time until they go out. Then, if and when you find it, you will now know which CKT power is being derived from.

CM

Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have cruise control, does it work? I've seen the brake light switch cause the ABS lights and the CC not working. As far as the parking lights go, I believe CM is spot on.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 PM
SunhawkRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ABS light, check engine, and BRAKE light were all on. All i did was disconnect my negative battery cable for about 5-10 minutes and it was all cleared up

Quick Reply: ABS light go away!!!