2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough Idle Lesson

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM
blackout128
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle Lesson

I own a 2000 2500 4 x 4 quad cab. Last week it started to idle rough, so I came over to the Dodge Forum and started some research. It starts up fine and ran good cold, problem started when it was warm, so I thought O2 sensor. Took the advice from a thread I read, and soaked it in PB Blaster overnight. I popped it off with a small set of channel locks. Started it up and ran rough cold ( that was new ). So I thought, maybe the IAC valve. So I changed that. Started it up, runs great, let it warm up and took it for a drive. 10 minutes into my drive, it starts sputtering and almost stalling. After a couple days of sitting ( i drove my little beater car), I decide to check out the TPS, I started my truck, it's idling rough, I pop the hood and low and behold I see a spark jumping from my distributor cap to the heater hose above. The ty-rap that held the hose to the firewall broke and it was on top of cap. I re-secured the hose and bam truck runs great! (I going to change the cap and rotor tomorrow).
Just thought I'd share that little story with the community and just want to say thanks to those that contribute to this forum. I would have never gotten that far without this forum.
I don't mind replacing the o2 sensor cause I probably needed to (115,000 miles), but it sucks that I probably threw away a perfectly good IAC valve...lol

Old 09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for that info. However, if I was you I'd replace the wire's too. And follow this TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for sharing man, didnt think of going out at night too look may have to do that myself ! see whats up with my idle.

i was going to go the route you did and just start buying stuff, but i dont dont want it too be something little as a spark going else were !

usally people dont share how they fix something so thanks !

Quick Reply: Rough Idle Lesson