2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought a truck, and a problem already I think

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a truck, and a problem already I think

I just bought a 1999 Ram Sport 4x4 with the 318, and I think I may be having a tranny issue already. I have had the truck only a week, and I just noticed a worrisome sound tonight. When the tranny is upshifting, it seems to not want to go right into gear, and makes a strange sound. It sounds kind of like a cross between grinding and rushing air. When the tranny finally shifts, the sound goes away. I am listening to it with the windows rolled up.

The truck only has 68,000 miles on the odometer. I was kind of leery buying it because of some stories I have heard about Dodge automatic trannies. I guess it is a good thing the dealership offered a 3 year, 36,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I may have to use it already.

My thoughts are the torque converter, but I would like to hear from anyone who may have dealt with a similar problem already.

Thanks in advance. Josh

Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bring it in if it is under warranty. I have brought in my truck for a blown power steering pump and transfer case at 48K miles.

Just bring it in. Why would you want to do the work? And it is not the torque converter. There is no grinding when that fails to lockup. Just the tranny temp gets really high (so high that the check tranny light comes on and it reverts to NON overdrive mode).

Bring it in and get a new tranny. Insist you get a new tranny.

--Dan

Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I was already planning on taking it in. I was just trying to figure out what it might be before I do.

I figure the more informed I am the better. It just sucks that I have only had it a week and it needs to go to the shop already. Especially for the reason I was hesitant on buying it in the first place.

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow on my lunch break. I just hope that it isn't a long drawn out process. Maybe they will have loaner for me while they fix it.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:37 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

If and when you get a BRAND NEW tranny, make sure you do the proper fluid and filter changes regularly, and when you feel the transmission struggling to find the right gear when going up hills, turn off the over drive. Also, when your towing, or hauling, keep overdrive off. Don't do burn outs too often, and don't make the transmission constantly search for the right gear.

Basically, drive like a normal person, sensibly and you won't have problems. If you beat it, you'll pay for it. If you don't beat it, you won't. I'm not trying to tell you don't have fun, just take care of it. You'll be good to go.

I've now owned 3 Ram's, and have YET to put in a tranny. Across the three of the Ram's I've owned, all bought used, I've put probably close to 300k miles down the road. Never replaced a tranny. Never replaced a Torque Converter. Never had to open the valve body.

Quick Reply: Just bought a truck, and a problem already I think