2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

uneven idle when not in gear (manual trans )

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010 | 07:38 PM
oliinthesky
|
Default uneven idle when not in gear (manual trans )

hi
when i put my 1999 , 5,2 l RAM out of gear (has manual tranmission ) , as when i approch a traffic light and roll in neutral the last bit before i stop , the idle goes uneven (up and down couple 100 rpms ) mostly to low and sometimes it stall (when engine is cold ) . i used to go downhill in neutal to safe fuel (in my diesels when i was living in germany ) but on this car it would be a bit dangerous.... had trouble recently with the idle control valve (check engine light came on-idle was than all the time around 15000rpm ) but after cleaning the valve-tighten the bolts a bit better and resetting the the check engine light (got to test tool from rilley auto parts ) it was ok again . also engine does a bit of pinging uphil in high gears . replaced spark plugs was living in germany so far-using diesel engines (which needs ony the half amount of fuel..) so not to familiar about big v-8 things ! but never had a car at a mechanic-did all work by myself ! so looking forward to get ideas whats wrong here . thanks oli

Quick Reply: uneven idle when not in gear (manual trans )