2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dies at Idle (Solved)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010 | 12:19 PM
Finns
|
Red face Dies at Idle (Solved)

Short story; Truck was dying when I let of the gas. Cleaned the IAC and it works now.

Long story; '98 1500 w/5.9, auto trans, would die at low speed when going around corners here in the city or stopping at a stop light/sign. Used to do it when gas tank was near 1/4 tank but lately at any amount of fuel. Searched and read through the forums and figured it might be the IAC. Took the air cleaner off, unplugged wire going to IAC, took screws out, sprayed plunger looking thing with carb cleaner and used Qtip and napkin to make it nice and shiny again. Sprayed Qtip w/cleaner and tryed to swab the hole where IAC fit in TB as best I could. Probably would have helped if I had used a mirror to look into the hole to see how clean I got it. I remember reading somewhere about putting the connector back on the IAC while it is still out to reset it or something. Did that by myself and could hear a click or maybe two. Must have been ok as I put it back together in reverse order and it idles like a champ now. Hope it lasts!

Old 10-09-2010 | 04:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Welcome to DF. I will move this thread over to 2nd gen, thanks for posting the solution.

Quick Reply: Dies at Idle (Solved)