2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

putting on a deep tranny pan..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
austin98sst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting on a deep tranny pan..

Hopefully the deep tranny pan that i order will get here soon so we can put it on this weekend before it gets to be to cold. we will have pics and all that good stuff.

Anything in general i should know before i try to put it on. my brother and i have never done transmission work so i dont know what im up against. would like to hear your Expertise on this.
thanks

Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might consider installing a filter extension to get the filter deeper into the fluid. It shouldn't be vitally necessary, but if you go wheeling or like to do hard launches or fast corners it will help to avoid sucking air.

Other than that, it's an easy but potentially very messy job. Let us know how it goes for you.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its a little messy, but not too bad.

here's how i do it - be aware that the full fluid level is above the top of the pan, so when you crack open the seal, you get a flood of fluid.

place a big pan under the pan. remove most of the pan bolts. leave at least 1 on each of the 4 corners. loosen those 4 a couple of rounds each. if it doesn't start leaking heavily, then whack the pan on the side with a rubber hammer to see if it will break loose. if not, then insert a putty knife between the pan and gasket, not between the case and gasket. don't gouge or scar the bottom of the case. break the seal and allow the fluid to drain down to the top of the pan. if you have 2 people, then hold the pan up tight to the case and remove the remaining 4 bolts, then lower it and dump it in the pan. beware its a little heavy with about 5 quarts in it. if only 1 person, place a floor jack under the pan and jack it snug, then remove the remaining 4 bolts and while balancing the pan, lower the jack and dump it in the pan.

put the drain pan back under the trans and remove the filter. 2 or 3 torx head bolts. catch more fluid. install new filter, gasket, install new pan, fill with about 6 quarts of atf+4 and nothing else. check fluid level with engine running and in neutral, not park.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-39.html

Quick Reply: putting on a deep tranny pan..