2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help me out guys!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 PM
01ramit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out guys!

Ok, i plan on getting exhaust here shortly and can't figure which would be better. I am just going to go cat back. So from the cat back, which would be better? Just stright Y pipe or throw some glass packs on there? The reason i am asking is because the last truck i did this to was an 07 silverado and i just did straight pipe from the cat back and it wasn't nearly as loud as i thought i would be. The cat quieted it down quite a bit. It was perfect. Now i have an 01 4x4 ram and with a 318, stock manifold and everything. I want a nice rumble at idle but want people to definitly here it when i'm on it. What do you think? And what do you like better- straight out the back or 45 degree cab corners for the exit?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Sniperinhisname
Professional

the reason it wasn't loud was because it was a bowtie haha. but yeah what i did a while ago is cut mine off right in front of the muffler. and even with the clogged cat it was nice and loud and sounded good. now mind you when i "fixed" the cat i put my super 44's back on and it was quieter. booo quieter. im thinking of getting a high flow cat and a cherry bomb extreme and running it out the passenger side in front of the tire. and im currently saving up for long tubes to do that. good god that will rattle the windows when i fire it up haha

Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

i like 45 behind the tires and it all depends on what kind of sound u want i think straights sound good if u still have the cat but in my opinion if u take the cat off ir becomes to loud for straights. and also i think straights are illegal but i aint quite sure?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Sniperinhisname
Professional

yeah they are, at least in north cakalaki they is. you could do what sheriff did. weld a hollow muffler shell over the pipe lol

Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
jswain
Veteran

I vote straight out the back. Why not see if they'll put straight pipes on it to where they would mount the glasspacks and see if they'll let you fire it up and possibly drive it a bit. I'm thinking glass packs will be quieter than what you're wanting, although after a couple of years the packing blows out and they'll be no quieter than straights anyway. Also, the shorter the glasspack is, the louder it will be.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sniper, I cut that shell off the pipe and put a Thrush glass pack on because I had way too much snap, crackle and pop after putting the Magnaflow cat on it.

That dummy muffler is a good deal when you have emissions inspections though.
It was funny when the mechanic was looking at the gaping hole in the back of that shell while scratching his head and he said, "I believe that's going to leak right there".
My response was "naw it ain't".
He didn't believe me so he lowered the truck, started it up, looked at the shell again and resumed the head scratching.

01ramit, Glass pack is deeper/louder than glass packS.
My pipes are split into duals right around the rear of the cab.
I had a flowmaster on there when I got the truck and it was way too quiet.
I replaced that with a y-pipe that matched the Flowmaster (to keep the tailpipes lined up) and two glass packs.
One day the y-pipe came loose (stupid muffler clamps) and I realized that I really liked the tone so it was goodbye glass packs and hello straight pipes, along with the muffler shell over the y-pipe to pass inspections.

Then I put a Magnaflow on the truck and it got really loud so I put a single glass pack before the y-pipe and it sounds pretty good now.

Shortly after the Magnaflow and glass pack came the Airgap intake manifold and the Harland Sharp roller rockers and both of those changed the exhaust tone a little bit.

The video's sound better if you have a bass cannon hooked up to your speakers.
Here's shorty headers, stock cat and straight pipes in a 5.2l
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AzVA_-DGo

Magnaflow cat with the Thrush glass pack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTvp...e=mfu_in_order
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyIOm...e=mfu_in_order

Magnaflow cat, Thrush glass pack, shorty headers, airgap and roller rockers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTKW...e=mfu_in_order

And what it sounds like inside the cab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84BXQqKfG0

Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I suggest you check the plenum and the cat before you make a final decision on your exhaust.

Quick Reply: Help me out guys!