2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 5.9 idle problem.. help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:52 AM
seths
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 5.9 idle problem.. help please!

Hello all, heres my situation.

I was driving home a couple days ago, when my heater stopped blowing hot, then my temp gage went way up there.. So I figured hey, whatever my thermostat must have went. So I managed to get my truck home not letting it get to where it overheated or the check gages light would have came on. It probly got 250ish for a second or two only once before I shut it off and let it cool. The next day I got a new thermostat, and when I went to put it in I noticed there was no coolant in my rad. At that point I filled it up with water to see if there was a leak in the rad or what not.. No leaks, It held fine, heater blows hot etc. Drove it for a while, let it get hot.. seems to be fine. Temp is right where it should be. Checked for water in my oil, oil in the water.. etc

The next day i drove it around all morning, and was fine.. had a meeting, come back out to start it, and it stalled.. started it again, and it kept stalling after it would start. It would not stay at idle unless i held my foot on the gas. Drove it let it warm up and went back to normal. Today it seems to be a bit worse. Even after warm up it will not idle on its own. Sometimes it will idle up and down.. Doesnt feel to be missfireing when i'm driving it or anything of that nature.

I did some searches but havent had much luck.

There are no check engine codes and the last time I did cap, rotor, plugs etc was about 20k miles ago. always change the oil, and the truck has about 130k on it. Its a 2001 off road model with a 360. Nothing leaks, its always been a solid truck for the most part.

thanks in adavance

Seths

Last edited by seths; 12-11-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the pre cat o2 sensor and clean the IAC. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Remove the negative battery cable before doing any work on it.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.9 idle problem.. help please!