2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What could cause tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010 | 12:36 AM
Wickedwiggles
|
Veteran
Default What could cause tranny issue

Alright had the truck up and running for about two months. The tranny is a rebuilt one I put it in with the rebuilt and improved motor.

The other day when on the hi way in o/d i get a loud bang from it then it gets kinda jumpy. I kick it out of o/d problem goes away.

I have been driving it around town with o/d off no problems. I went to get in it to go home last night and reverse didn't engage....it just ground and felt like it barely could catch. So I checked drive and it still worked fine, so I pushed the truck back and put it in drive and headed home, almost home it starts to shift funny like bands or clutches are or what ever is in those things started catching, causing the truck to buck.

I only got 600mi out of it.....unfortunately my warranty TIME limit is up I think, I am gonna tow it to American transmissions where I bought it from hopefully they will help me out there.

My question is what could have caused this to go bad so early?
I am positive the tranny fluid has been full at all times.

PS its a 46re with a 5.2 4x4 if any of that is pertinent.

Old 10-20-2010 | 01:18 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

You might want to post in MonteC's Transmission Corner to get a much better answer than I could give, but just pulling something out of the clear blue sky I'd guess the overdrive snap ring or the overdrive clutch spring let go.

Quick Reply: What could cause tranny issue