2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle u-joint replacement HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
I'm not trying to start trouble here, but your shop can do both side's in 2.6 hour's ? Is there five people working on each side or what? How much for replacing seal's when they go bad after the 2.6 hour job?
Alldata only calls for 1.1 hours to replace an axle. I add .2 to change the joints.

I can do each side in 15-20 minutes.

I've only had 2 ever come back leaking in my 13 year career, probably done well over a hundred U-joints in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton gen II and 3/4 & 1 ton gen III. I'm just very careful.

On a customer pay, it's 6.6 hours to replace both front tube seals. Takes about an hour and a half to two hours.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

15-20 minutes? Awesome. The right tools help for sure.(which I have) Maybe I'm old and slower but, I have atleast twice the years experience you keep reminding us of (13). So calm down, and let's all just help each other.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 PM
BigDaddy1515

Ok guys, I don't want to argue BUT....I just did both side front u joints(98 Dodge 1500) freeing up the front axles were the worst. I cleaned everything up, used a u-joint press and bench press to assist installing new u-joints. Getting the front axles out was the worst, I am a DIY and I bet I had 10 hours of labor time. I do not have any axle seal leaks, job went well and I did an upper ball joint at same time. So if you want to do it, it can be done with patients and correct tools. Thanks to the many, many helpful hints I read inside this forum.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm just an old, slow, shade tree. it took me two days, which included a whole lot of non-productive work -
removing the stupid carrier.
cleaning 10 years of gunk out of the axle tubes.
driving to the parts store and hardware store a couple of different times.
building a bad seal tool...
buying more seals, LOL,
building a better seal tool.
changing the bushings, studying the collar and filing off burrs.
no press, bfh hammer only.
having a beer occasionally to admire my work...

since i had already changed bearings, i didn't have to spend any time fighting with them. they came right off and i was already familiar with that step.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-26-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

15-20 minutes? Awesome. The right tools help for sure.(which I have) Maybe I'm old and slower but, I have atleast twice the years experience you keep reminding us of (13). So calm down, and let's all just help each other.
Not getting excited, just answered the question

But really, it doesn't take long to remove a wheel, a caliper, a hub nut and 3 hub bolts, then beat out a U-joint. I suppose it might take twice as long or a bit more using only hand tools and working in a driveway. But since I've also had air and a ton of other shop equipment at home for a long time, I don't recall the last time I did it the hard way.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i'm just an old, slow, shade tree. it took me two days, which included a whole lot of non-productive work -
removing the stupid carrier.
cleaning 10 years of gunk out of the axle tubes.
driving to the parts store and hardware store a couple of different times.
building a bad seal tool...
buying more seals, LOL,
building a better seal tool.
changing the bushings, studying the collar and filing off burrs.
no press, bfh hammer only.
having a beer occasionally to admire my work...

since i had already changed bearings, i didn't have to spend any time fighting with them. they came right off and i was already familiar with that step.
LOL, same here the first time. The I went and spent thousands of dollars on more tools, so it wouldn't happen again

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce
Not getting excited, just answered the question

I know, I was just F'n with you.

But really, it doesn't take long to remove a wheel, a caliper, a hub nut and 3 hub bolts, then beat out a U-joint. I suppose it might take twice as long or a bit more using only hand tools and working in a driveway. But since I've also had air and a ton of other shop equipment at home for a long time, I don't recall the last time I did it the hard way.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

LOL, same here the first time. The I went and spent thousands of dollars on more tools, so it wouldn't happen again
That is key. Of course, I've got more than I can count that have only been used once or twice (a hundred dollar Snap-On Northstar/Aurora water pump socket comes to mind). Quite a few that I've built, too, like one to compress the valve springs on the 3.5's in the Pacifica's and perform the valve stem lock replacement procedure.

I do remember the first time I did a right side seal on a ram. About three seals later, I found a winning combination of threaded rod, washers and bearing races to get it done.

Now body work, OTOH............yeah. Definitely do that more as dhvaughan describes. At least a 6 pack and a half pack of smokes per panel. Recently discovered why there is a special adhesion promoter for bare plastics, too.......

Quick Reply: Front axle u-joint replacement HELP!