2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

kicking out of overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol 3000 canadian .....ya its beefed up with a better torque converter, clutch packs and sonnex kit.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You're not supposed to leave it in overdrive on a steep incline in the first place! So just stop doing that and the problem will go away all by itself.
Well...define steep in terms of angle degrees. Seriously though, I only take mine out of od if I'm pulling a trailer. Is everybody else kicking theirs in and out manually? If that's necessary, these trannies must suck worse than I thought. Kinda defeats the purpose of an automatic..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jswain
Well...define steep in terms of angle degrees. Seriously though, I only take mine out of od if I'm pulling a trailer. Is everybody else kicking theirs in and out manually? If that's necessary, these trannies must suck worse than I thought. Kinda defeats the purpose of an automatic..

Does not even have to be steep, as soon as you have any kind of power loss, ie... bad plenum,o2,clogging cat (or needs a tune up) along with the weight of these truck's and 3:55 gear's to make it worse, yes, the tranny suck's. Beside's the fact that the owners manual and the FSM, IIRC, do state, to turn OD off when going up an incline.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Does not even have to be steep, as soon as you have any kind of power loss, ie... bad plenum,o2,clogging cat (or needs a tune up) along with the weight of these truck's and 3:55 gear's to make it worse, yes, the tranny suck's. Beside's the fact that the owners manual and the FSM, IIRC, do state, to turn OD off when going up an incline.
I try to drive mine like a semi on a hilly highway. Get some speed on the downslopes, be easy on the throttle and let it lose some speed going uphill. As long as I can keep it from kicking in and out of od, I leave od on. I'm assumming he's had the truck a while and this is a new condition on previously travelled roads.

Quick Reply: kicking out of overdrive