2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS fixed......I Hope - Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
walleyeone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS fixed......I Hope - Tranny Question

Posted awhile back about abs engaging at low speeds - no brake or abs lights. Found rust built-up under the sensor on the right front hub. Removed sensor cleaned rust and seems to be fine ...so far, a common GM problem I understand. Hope this helps somebody. Also whats better tranny fluid exchange (supposedly gets all the fluid but no filter change) or drop the pan change the filter and only get partial fluid change. If the pan is dropped should the bands be adjusted as stated in the Haynes manual, transmission shifts fine I'm half afaird to mess with it. If I service myself what fluid would you recommend? Sorry for the long post.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use ATF+4 only. mopar or valvoline or castrol. some walmarts carry a house brand. i tried it once and it was ok, but i went back to valvoline.

do it right - drop the pan and change the filter. AND if it hasn't been serviced regularly, after about a week or two or three, change it again, INCLUDING the filter. note - it takes about 6-7 quarts in the 96-01 46RE. check fluid with engine running in neutral NOT park.

do yourself a favor - install a drain plug. dorman part number. $3 at Advance and others.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...drainplug.html

i would not adjust the bands unless you either have a slipping problem, or the right tools and are comfortable with the process. its possible to mess up the trans by doing it wrong.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie

I agree with dhv above. Change my trans. fluid and filter every 25,000 k. Choose a time when it can sit with the pan removed for several hours while you do something else. Good idea to clean and put a little oil on your pan attach hardware as the steel bolts in the aluminium trans. hsg. have a tendency to gall and easy to pull threads. Dropping the pan enables you to see any metallic debris and clean the sludge from pan and magnet. Check level when good and hot.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
walleyeone

Thanks for the info, this is a great site.

Quick Reply: ABS fixed......I Hope - Tranny Question