2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Infinity stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 PM
dtimekw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity stereo upgrade

Not sure where to put this so Mods, please put it where you think it goes. I didn't see too much info on this so I wanted to post for those who are wanting to upgrade their Infinity to an aftermarket WITHOUT running new speaker wires.

I recently upgraded my stock infinity stereo to an aftermarket. I could not ring out the speaker wires from the back of the factory HU. After pulling my hair out and reading the wiring diagram (xmas gift from a member...thank you!!) I was able to find that the speaker wires colors on at the speaker were different from the ones that went into the HU. Long story short: You DO NOT have to run new speaker wires. If you take off the panels on your front doors (I have third doors) you will find your stock 6X9 speakers with amps built on to them. They feed each side of the truck respectivly. In other words, the pass door amp feeds both front and rear passenger doors. Follow the wire bundle from the speaker up to the first connector and that is where you will find the pot of gold. This connector has the 4 wires coming from the HU and 2 from the rear speaker for that side of the truck. Using the wiring diagram, find out what color wires are for the front speaker and hook them directly to the speaker from the new HU or AMP if you install a new one. For the rear speaker, you will need to cut/connect the wires coming from the rear speaker to the wires coming from the HU or new AMP. It sounds kinda hard but it really isn't. The bottom line is this: The connector on each front speaker is the key to making all of the orig wiring work with an aftermarket set up. Feel free to PM me if you need help. I pulled my hair out for a day and half but now know what is going on. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:09 PM
gipperkid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused, do you have a post for dummies?

Quick Reply: Infinity stereo upgrade