2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front brake pad tools required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
CANADIAN RAM01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake pad tools required?

In order to replace the front pads do I require hex bit sockets? if so, does anybody know the size?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: front brake pad tools required?

yes, 7mm rings a bell but dont' hold me to it...it was a couple of months back. just go buy a cheep kit from the autoparts store, or an even better kit from Home Depot. $15 bux...

Old 06-10-2005, 08:00 AM
zeekxxx
Captain

Or do it right and get Craftsmen or Snap On. I dont think with a hex kit there can be that much dif in quality but I learned along time ago not to buy cheap tools. I broke my small finger when a socket just SHATTERED while working under my old trans-am. I had a 3 months to heal on that one. All my cheap tools got given away and I replaced most all of them with Craftsmen and Snap-on. Snap on being my favorite but they are over priced and hard to get unless you know a dealer. But they sure are shiney in the toolbox

Old 06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: zeekxxx

Or do it right and get Craftsmen or Snap On. I dont think with a hex kit there can be that much dif in quality but I learned along time ago not to buy cheap tools. I broke my small finger when a socket just SHATTERED while working under my old trans-am. I had a 3 months to heal on that one. All my cheap tools got given away and I replaced most all of them with Craftsmen and Snap-on. Snap on being my favorite but they are over priced and hard to get unless you know a dealer. But they sure are shiney in the toolbox

I'd agree on the sockets and wrenches and with most of their tools but the hex bit set would see limited use and torque. I bought my kit from Home Depot, I think their tools are pretty good, made in USA and they have yet to fail me whereas the Craftsmans have. I have 2 ratchets (1 is a torque wrench) sitting in my tool box that need to be swapped out. both broke. the torque wrench is not replaceable according to them which sucks. Home Depot tools (Huskey) have the same lifetime warranty as Sears and there is almost 1 on every freekin corner...

One thing to make clear... I would never use any socket or wrench that is not made by either Craftsman or Huskey (or better like snap-on or mac)...

Old 06-11-2005, 01:26 AM
RcBandit28
Captain

Matco! The best tools, hands down!

Old 06-11-2005, 02:44 PM
garpoonga
Professional

It's either 7 or 8mm I forgot already and just changed mine. Let some WD40 soak in there for a while before loosening them. The swap is extremely easy.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

make sure to remember to compress the caliper piston before installing new brake pads than, otherwise you'll never get the caliper back on

Quick Reply: front brake pad tools required?