2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 12:48 AM
murren
|
Amateur
Default power steering problem?

Hey guys,
Just got done replacing the pressure hose from the back of the power steering pump (lots of fluid leak, lots of smoke!) that had a one inch tear in it. I didn't lift the front end after filling the reservoir, but did cycle the tires from side to side for about 3 minutes after it was all back together. I'm going to check the reservoir level when cold tomorrow, and fill as needed, but need to know if i skipped a step and if it's gunna hurt anything. I didn't turn the engine over to pump out any existing fluid before i reconnected the hose at the "knuckle" to flush out any bad fluid. Is this going to be a problem if there is any "old" fluid in the system to mesh with the new stuff i put in? I'm not a mechanic, but know my way around a wrench. Just trying to save some dough. Thanks for all response.

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

the main thing you want to do is never run the pump dry, so its better to NOT flush the fluid.

what you should do is get a cheap turkey baster from walmart and use it to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir, and refill with new fluid. crank it and turn it back and forth a few times. repeat this 2 or 3 times until the fluid remains sort of clean.

Quick Reply: power steering problem?