2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Scanner says TPS at 12.5% even at Idle - Replace TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 AM
chrscott
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe I should try swapping one in and see what happens.

I think I will do another data log session, and then decide. This idle issue has been ******* me for a year now.

Jschatz, I will post my results if I get this figured out.

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 PM
alwaysrammin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I was reading this and this sounds similiar to a problem I have. I replaced a ton of things that were going bad but still can't seem to get rid of the same issue...Did the TPS work for you?? I tested it, it proves good but i'm not sure anymore. I'm ready to do a compression test at this point!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
chrscott
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, a new TPS did not work for me.

I did a compression test (with a new tester), and got 170 psi across the board, except for 1 cylinder where I had 180 psi. This is the same cylinder that had a bad lifter (that I replaced), so I am thinking I have some carbon buildup in there that may be causing intermittent pre-detonation (either due to red hot carbon igniting the fuel/air mix before spark, or due to slightly increased compression).

I still have the problem described above, but seems to be a little better these days. Am I burning up some of the carbon buildup? Am I just getting used to the vibration? Am I considering selling the Dodge and getting a Tacoma??!?! :-0

Who knows at this point! Doing the ball joints this weekend.

If you solve your problem, please do post your solution as it may work for me and/or others.

Good Luck,
Chris

Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM
alwaysrammin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the things I have done and found that were bad was theintake plenum so I did the hughes plenum kit, new plugs cap and rotor, cleaned IAC port and replaced IAC motor, had bad fuel pressure readings, replaced it, new front o2, did compression test 150-170 readings and at 165,000 are great. I'm going to check the timing, timing chain to see for wear and a vac. test. I hope one of these prove correct. I have also had this problem for 3 years but recently i thought I'd try and get to the bottom of it. However since it's totally fighting me it seems to have grown into a personal battle between me and this truck. I hope I can figure it out. Toyota's are nice, but my friends can't fit much more than a quad in there without the tail gate down. Unless its a brand new full size I think I'll stick with what I got. After all this my truck is nearly new again. Still love my RAM!

Quick Reply: Scanner says TPS at 12.5% even at Idle - Replace TPS?