2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
missouriboy1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Problem

recently I had to do some repairs to my wiring harness, specifically wires had become bare at the torque converter connector plug. I fixed the issue and drove the truck for a month or so. Now I am experiencing total loss of transmission in any gear after lets say a block to 3 blocks. I'm kind of puzzled due to the solid engagement after letting truck sit for 30 minutes.
I first noticed the shift acting a little funny a day prior. It wasn't wanting to shift correctly while in drive, hesitating to shift. Then while I was driving it lost power. Engine runs fine, but no power transfer through driveline. My truck is a 1997 ram ext. cab, 5.9 gas automatic with OD.
I also noticed there is a whine coming from what I expect to be the torque converter. Is there something I need to look for besides the torque converter or has my tranny decided to give up?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

may have given up.....but first, hows your fluid? you MUST check in while running in neutral....park will NOT give you an accurate reading, and you MUST put ATF+4 in (@ $5.99 a quart....at least for the kind i like.)

Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can try replacing the Governor pressure switch and Solenoid. And adjust the bands if you have the proper tools and know how. In any case, drop the pan and see what it looks like in there. If it does not look good and there is alot of crap on the magnet, the Governor soleniod could very well be clogged.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problem