2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help installing Crimestopper Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
0verdrive
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help installing Crimestopper Remote Start

I'm in the process of installing a Crimestopper RS-4G2 remote start in my 2001 Ram. I've done enough of the installation that it now starts and stops remotely, but I'm running into trouble with the door locks.

My truck has oem RKE, which (according to what I've read online) means that it uses a 5-wire system to lock/unlock the doors. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to connect the existing (5-wire?) setup to my remote start, since the installation manual doesn't mention anything about 5-wire configurations.

While looking at page 10 of the installation manual (http://www.crimestopper.com/Templates/2009_manuals/RemoteStart/rs-1-3-4_ins.pdf) there are a couple diagrams that may be applicable, but I don't know if the Ram is "positive trigger" or "reverse polarity" (or neither.)

I read online that I could connect the remote start to the CTM, which looked promising since I wasn't sure about the door wiring. But connecting directly to the CTM didn't do anything, so now I'm back to square one.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

Thanks for your help!
~Dean

Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

When I installed my remote start and keyless entry I used a Directed Electronics 451M door lock relay to handle the reverse polarity switches. This is the only way I know of to accomplish it besides using two relays. I hope this helps. It worked out great for me.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 AM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by slider15004x4
When I installed my remote start and keyless entry I used a Directed Electronics 451M door lock relay to handle the reverse polarity switches. This is the only way I know of to accomplish it besides using two relays. I hope this helps. It worked out great for me.
Thanks for the reply! Before you installed the remote start, was your truck already equipped with keyless entry? (I ask because it apparently changes the way the wiring is configured.)

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i have a question since this thread has been started...

when i bought the truck, i had the Viper Alarm system in my truck....the black box that is wired into the harness had trouble though....the power wire was snipped (enough where i couldnt splice it back together.)

Well everytime id unhook my battery and then hook it up, id have no start...no crank or anything....id have to have someone turn the key as i dropped the terminal on to get it started (after that it would start everytime until i had to unhook battery again)

So i unhooked the black box from the connectors. (didnt cut any wires only unhooked the box)....this fixed the no start when disconeccting battery

now since the wiring is still all there, can i put in a remote start where the alarm was? just hook it up (i know some splicing might be required) because its hooked into the ignition etc.

not to highjack the thread, just thought id post here instead of a new thread.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM
slider15004x4
Veteran

I didn't have any factory keyless entry. I had to install everything in the truck. 95Ram, you should be able to install another alarm in now. It might not use the same connections as the previous installed system. Check out the following sites for wiring information.

Bulldogsecurity.com
The12volt.com

Quick Reply: Need help installing Crimestopper Remote Start