2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan fixed but not fixed Really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fan fixed but not fixed Really?

So I got my fan fixed I ordered a new Fan Control my fan turns on and off with switch in the cab. But later on I can turn it on and off but when I turn the truck off my fan still runs till it cools off even if my switch is off. I wired everything up the same could my switch be shot to? I confused and ticked off about it I wanna add parts to my truck but I want everything to run perfect before I start. So any help would be great

Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need more info about your controller, but this is where you start:

You have a 'hot' line that feeds off a heavy gauge wire to the battery. Then you have another 'hot' line that's smaller gauge. The smaller gauge is connected to a constant source.. You'll want to change that, and tap an 'ignition on' only wire. That'll fix your problem...

Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

yea I got all the wires right. My ignition on wire is hooked up to my trailer brakes im pretty sure its not a ignition on but it worked fine before. Thats were im puzzled. Everything is wired the same as before I changed nothing.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
drewactual
Champion

Brakes lights are constant source. You'll want it tapped into a NON constant for the fans not to run when the engines off. That particular line doesn't need much power to juice the controllers relay- so a line powering something like a radio would work just fine.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

Probably look in the general discussion to find the power source for the radio? This helps a lot Thanks.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:44 PM
drewactual
Champion

Where is your controller at? Under the hood and with remote switch ran to the cab? If it's under the hood, you'll be better served tapping something like your wipers. Its times like this when Chiltons and Haynes manuals come in handy- w/ the schematics.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

The controller is under the hood mounted on top of the fender close to the battery. But my switch is in the cab inplace of the fog lamp button my truck didnt come with fog lights so I put it there it would be like a 5in. wire to my switch and thats were I have my ground mounted, I dont know why I didnt think about putting the power source there.

Quick Reply: Fan fixed but not fixed Really?