2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

camshaft postion sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 AM
lurkinhard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool camshaft postion sensor??

have a 1999 ram with the 5.2 in it. Drove it to work one night and when I went to strat it in the morning it would'nt fire. Checked for spark and got nothing. Got it back home and check the code saying it is a camshaft postion sensor. I picked one up from autozone and they tried to tell me its on the timing chain cover. Obviously not there. So where is this thing at??

Tl;dr where is the camshaft postion sensor on 5.2L???

Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 AM
lurkinhard

Maybe I should start proof reading more. Sorry for all the errors :/

Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's inside the dist cap. The flat disc looking thing with the 2 wires connected to it.

Remove the dist cap, pull the rotor button off the shaft and then slide the cam sensor off the shaft. Reinstall in reverse order. If you haven't changed the dist cap and rotor lately, now would be the perfect time to do that since you have to remove them anyway.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 AM
lurkinhard

It's flat and round looking or is it underneith that. The one I pulled up on the auto zone website looks like a small tube with a place to blot it up. Could it possibly be called something different or am I just being a tard??

Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the cam position sensor that's located inside the dist cap.

Sounds like you're describing the crankshaft position sensor. It's located on the passenger side back of the engine where the bell housing bolts to the engine block. Does it look like this?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 AM
lurkinhard

Alright, sweet now I just have to find the part. Autozone website is of no help what so ever. I'll get on it tomorrow or when the snow clears up alittle. I'll post when I get her up and running again. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: camshaft postion sensor??