2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram dash replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
houser52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ram dash replacement help

When I went out to the truck this morning what do I find? A cracked dash. It's cracked all the way from the cup holder to the windshield. I spend a lot of this afternoon reading over all the information here on the forum about eveyone's dash mishaps and what they have done. Seems like a common Dodge part defect.

Ok. I have decided to replace the cracked dash with a new dash from Geno's. A dash cap/cover is not what I will be using. The picture on Gen's website looks like it just replaces the top part of the dash and nothing around the instrument panel or glovebox.

One thing I can't find is a diagram of how the dash is removed and where all of the attachment points are located. I know there are bolts near the windshield and screws under the instrument panel bezel.

In my mind the replacement seems to be pretty straight forward but I'd like to hear from somebody who has done it and what steps they took to do it. Pictures would be great too. It would make it easier if I have an idea of what I'm getting into.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM
brewman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled my dash this weekend. Nothing difficult just tedious.

I've extracted the relevent pages from the factory service manual and put them here (I tried attaching to this post, but it wouldn't take a 2MB pdf):
http://saraja.com/docs/dash%20removal.pdf

If you don't already have the factory service manual you can get one here on CD for less than 1/2 the cost of the hardcopy:
http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit...duct/BISH-2986

Last edited by brewman; 01-17-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram dash replacement help