2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Still squeeking

I had a rotational squeek on the front driver side. Only noticable at very slow speeds (like 1-15mph). I could here it as I drove through parking lots, and the sound reverberated back off the other cars. I got my brakes fixed yesterday, which is what I thought was causing it, but I can still hear it. I was thinking that it could be my bearing, but my shop manual only covers wheel bearings on 2 wheel drive models, nothing for 4x4's. Do the 4x4's have bearings like that, and if so, how difficult is it to change? What else could it be?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:50 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still squeeking

I'm not completely familiar with the axles the 1/2 ton trucks used. IIRC, they were dana 44s in the front, unless you had an offroad equpied truck. But if they're anything like the Dana 60s/70s the larger trucks used, then the bearings are not serviceable, at least not without some force. They're part of the wheel hub...they're pressed into the back of it, which isn't the greatest design in the world. [:'(] There is information on tearing the axle apart and replacing the bearings on this site: http://dieselpowerman.tripod.com/Fro...xle%20Tech.htm He's performing the operation on a Dana 60, but it should still be applicable for the Dana 44. Personally, I'd just replace the whole hub if that's the case...especially since the rotor is part of it as well....did I mention it is an extremely poor design? [:'(] They used to be a dealer only part, but I believe you can now get them at some auto parts stores. Or you could order one direct from a place like www.chrylserpartsdirect.com

Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 AM
moparman95
Rookie

the squeaking that your hearing could be a 4wd wheel joint or it could be your hub/bearing assembly. my truck is a 95 and mine was more of a loud clicking sound at speeds between 15-30mph. I had my friend move the wheel from side to side while i was under the truck. the first thing I noticed was a lot of play in the trac bar so I replaced it. The noise was still there so i decided to change the wheeljoints. there not to hard to do if you have access to air tools. While i had the front end tore apart I decided to do balljoints, wheel bearings, and the whole draglink since they had 100,000 miles on them.

-Dave

Old 06-25-2005, 02:05 AM
suicide jockey

My guess is the axle joint, happened in my buddys truck. Jack it up yo take the pressure off and wiggle the tire back and forth.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

did you ever figure out what it was? my truck started doing that now

Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, it is the front axle excluder seals. There is actually a TSB on it.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/03-06-99.htm

I haven't had it fixed yet. Not sure If I want to have that removed if the only bad thing it does is squeek.

Old 06-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

So from how I read it, you just remove the excluder seal, and be done with it?

Maybe I'll do it if I ever get around to changing the leaky axle seals

Quick Reply: Still squeeking