2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A plethora of questions and discussions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A plethora of questions and discussions.

Hey everyone, I would first like to thank everyone for all the help over the last year, you guys are literally lifesavers.

And now, I have several questions, none with a specific answer, more like I need opinions.

1. Possible Plenum needed fix? I lose maybe a half a quart, over 3k miles, MAYBE. and am getting roughly 11mpg in town and 15 hwy.

2. Tires. a) sizes? I have 265's now, on stock rims, wouldn't mind getting some 285's but not worth it if it is going to hurt my truck as I have 3.55's.

and 3. I lately have had an IOD fuse problem. I am not sure what to do honestly, it blew once driving down the road when I was adjusting my mirrors, and continues to do this. I recently installed new towing mirrors as well as a new stereo. Where should I check first?

Thanks Again!,
Logan

Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Fix the plenum, regardless of if it is blown or not, because its inevitable.
2. Let those nice Duratracs wear down before you decide on tires. But if you want 285s, get them, they wont hurt you. 285/75/16 tires are taller and wider than 265/75s, but you can get 285/70s that are just wider, not taller than your 265s.

And that is a nice truck. I like the mirrors and the color. You dont see many in that shade.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Half a quart might be going through the PCV valve. It's a you-better-buy-it-from-the-dealer part.

For the IOD fuse: The best place to start is pulling those mirrors back off of there and inspecting every inch of the wiring, as well as inspecting every inch of wiring in the areas where you've worked in the year or so leading up to the problem. There's probably a pinched wire somewhere. It could be a totally shot motor in the mirror, too. Is it just when you're adjusting one side that it eats the fuse, or is it both sides? If it's just one side, check that one first.

Another good stab in the dark: Unplug one side, then try adjusting. Then plug that side in, and unplug the other, and try adjusting again. This should narrow it down.

Quick Reply: A plethora of questions and discussions.