2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No reverse lights

Almost time for state inspection and I noticed my reverse lights aren't working. I've checked fuses and bulbs, all are good. Should the next diagnostic step be to check the neutral safety switch? It looks like, to me anyway, that the neutral safety switch is the backup lamp switch also. I got a 46re if it's not in my sig. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

fuse, neutral safety switch, wiring, or bulbs.

yes, the neutral safety switch is the backup light on/off switch. on my 01 its on the drivers side, near the front, with an electrical connector attached. check for voltage everywhere there should be. i don't know if the switch is a positive switch or a ground switch. the 01 service manual in the FAQ will tell you. it has good wiring diagrams in the last section.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Dhvaughan, I've checked wires, bulbs and fuses. I just found the test procedure in the FSM for the switch. I'm going to check it tonight. I'll post results.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM
aggirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let us know! My 94 is having the exact same issue!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
shanec706
Rookie

I have had the same issue since my vss went out. i replaced the one on the rear diff. along with every switch on the tranny trying to get my speedo working. turns out that i got a bad vss from o'reilly from the start. but my backup lights STILL don't work. i have changed the neutral safety switch about 4 times and still no backup lights. i hope you have better luck than i've had.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Prob. not the same issue as I had. But my reverse lights, power windows and blower motor were not working. Found it to be in the ignition switch. Had a burnt contact in the switch for the heavy accessories. it was a 14 awg wire black W/ orange tracer.

Quick Reply: No reverse lights