2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gear Drive Kit For 318?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM
PutThtPed@lDown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Drive Kit For 318?

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I just recently bought a 98 1500 Quad Cab with a 318 about 140k on it. Done quite a few things to it already, but im really interested in finding a good quality affordable gear drive kit for it. Any advice or links would be awesome, thanks guys.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to DF.
Some where in this forum is just this subject, you can try a search for it, and you can also check out flebay. It is not the most common thing to find for a magnum.

Note: You are asking about a gear drive for the cam?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I looked into this at one point and was told that it can be done, but not suggested due to harmonics being transfered to the upper engine. I recall being told that an LA gear drive will work, but you will need to drill and tap your block for one bolt (aparently not there in magnum blocks). When I did look, I didn't find any true bolt in gear drives for magnums a few years ago. That may have changed by now.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Thanks. And yeah a gear drive for the cam, ill look around on here and see if i can find it. I've found one kit online but it looks like a low quality one and i dont exactly wanna risk that haha

Old 01-29-2011, 07:51 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I found this, but like pcfixerpro has said it may need moding to make it work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/13...oductId=748319

Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I found this, but like pcfixerpro has said it may need moding to make it work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/13...oductId=748319
Yes, thats what I was talking about. The bracket with the hole in it is the one you will have to drill and tap for. If your comfortable doing that and still want to follow through, then do it up.

I'll leave you with this to read through.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6047335_gea...dvantages.html

Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
PutThtPed@lDown

I did end up finding a couple for the 318 on Ebay, mostly floating idlers like the link you sent me merc225, around 1-200$.. Im gonna look into it a little more and see what its gonna take to install one and ill let yall knw if i throw it in how it turns out. Thanks for all the quick responses

Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Just a heads up on the gear drive. I had a pete jackson gear drive in my Chevy 350 for my S-10. decided to have the motor bumped up a bit more. Took the short block to my local speed shop for machining. The gentelman at the shop asked me if it was to be a drag truck or just a street macine. I told him I would hit the track here and there, but mostly just around town. He recomended me removing my gear drive??? I asked why. He said that the stop and go traffic is hard on the crank and cam and it will wear the gear drive out pretty quick. He reccomended going with a doubble roller chain instead. Don't know if this is true or just BS just wanted to put that out there for ya. Maybe do some research on it, or talk to your local speed shop about it.

PS. The pete jackson "noisy" gear drive did sound pretty cool though.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Originally Posted by Buellstunter
Just a heads up on the gear drive. I had a pete jackson gear drive in my Chevy 350 for my S-10. decided to have the motor bumped up a bit more. Took the short block to my local speed shop for machining. The gentelman at the shop asked me if it was to be a drag truck or just a street macine. I told him I would hit the track here and there, but mostly just around town. He recomended me removing my gear drive??? I asked why. He said that the stop and go traffic is hard on the crank and cam and it will wear the gear drive out pretty quick. He reccomended going with a doubble roller chain instead. Don't know if this is true or just BS just wanted to put that out there for ya. Maybe do some research on it, or talk to your local speed shop about it.

PS. The pete jackson "noisy" gear drive did sound pretty cool though.
Thanks buell, I'll definitely look inot that. I've got no firsthand experience with them at all so any news is good news. I'll have to ask arond about it, and yeah they do sound pretty mean haha thats what im hopin for if i do get one eventually

Quick Reply: Gear Drive Kit For 318?