2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anybody done rocker repair panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
yellowtruck
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody done rocker repair panels

is there a thread out there or has anyone cut out the old rocker panels and installed the replacements. I bought 2 new rockers and cab corners because mine are shot and I want to cut out the bad and install these. Just looking for some pointers.

Matt

Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not too sure what kind of info you are looking for, but the best bet is go to your local library and get a book on how to do body work. You do have a mig welder right? If you really need help pm me and I will walk you through it as best I can via e mail. Oh yah I have done this work way too many times and can't stay far enough away from it.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:10 PM
shorty24v
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't do them myself, but recently had my rockers and door bottoms replaced..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390098...ort-bed/page-1

Old 01-30-2011, 04:07 AM
dvowicker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a body man and now instead of welding we actually use a super adhesive
that is stronger than welds and is a better sealant. it is i believe 8815 made by 3m. but you can also do the welding. what you are going to want to do is buy a spot weld drill bit. after you get that be prepared for a couple hours of work. what you are going to do is find all of your spot welds on the panel you are wanting to get rid of and drill thme out not through both panels just the one you want off. if that makes sense? then once you are sure you have all of your spot welds drilled you are going to slowly pry up on each one of them spot welds until they let loose this is the tricky part be careful. after you remove your panel you are going to want to grind down all the spot welds and make sure they are grounded down good then get your replacement part and put it on weld or glue it in place and walla your panel is on. grind off the new welds or sand off excessive glue and primer paint and you now have a new panel. as far as cab corners i would have a shop do that because you are going to need to have them mudded in and painted. cab corners are hard for the reason being that they arent a one piece replacement panel meaning you have to cut your trucks existing metal and put this in. o while you have your panels off get some rust proofer and spray it inside so you dont have this problem again. i myself use por 15 and if it is inside of a panel i just brush it on youll never see it again. thats my 2 cents thank you and goodnight

Quick Reply: anybody done rocker repair panels