DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   HID Kit MOD Dodge Ram (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/278433-hid-kit-mod-dodge-ram.html)

a32ozSlurpee 02-01-2011 10:45 AM

HID Kit MOD Dodge Ram

I still pretty new to the forum. I looked on the forum for repairs to my truck and I think I should do alittle review for anyone wanting to do HIDs
I think this is the right sections..Anyways

HIDS THEMSELF
LOVE THEM! What a difference in vision and brightness, just amazing! A FOR SURE BUY!

INSTALL-
Took about 20 minutes.Had trouble getting the bulb back in the harness but other then that just pluged all the connections in

WHERE I GOT IT
I got the kit from http://www.highdeflighting.com It was real simple and their customer service was great. Also the cheapest price I found on the net.

Anyways just wanted to give my 2 cents on the forum..
HIDs are amazing and will never go back to halogen

http://i53.tinypic.com/dyq00h.jpg

Flipzslick 02-01-2011 11:00 AM

$30 buck isn't bad at all! To bad my lights say not for use with hid's?

PurplDodge 02-01-2011 11:44 AM

$30? I'd be worried about the quality. What did they use for loom? Duct tape?

a32ozSlurpee 02-01-2011 12:37 PM

so far so good! I have had them about 3 months. I got mud one of the ballast and still working fine! they stick on with a sticky pad but drilled a bracket because offroad can get bumpy:icon_chickendance:

TheBigRedOne 02-01-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by PurplDodge (Post 2401896)
$30? I'd be worried about the quality. What did they use for loom? Duct tape?

Most HID's are made by the same company in China. DDM sells their kits for $33. I have bought over 100 bulbs from there for lamps and only had one bad one.

OP, WTF were you thinking with blue headlights? That's a recipe for disaster.

a32ozSlurpee 02-01-2011 04:59 PM

yea iam going to get the 6000k soon

PurplDodge 02-01-2011 04:59 PM

No, you need like 4500K.

TheBigRedOne 02-01-2011 06:57 PM

4300k is OEM HID, aka halogen color. Normal light color meaning less attention drawn to yourself from cops.

PurplDodge 02-01-2011 07:01 PM

That and you can actually see it. Our eyes cant see that well in the blue spectrum.

TheBigRedOne 02-01-2011 07:06 PM

Blue is the least visible color of the spectrum. Also in some states you can be charged with a felony for having blue headlights, as blue is a police color. In San Diego, they were impounding and crushing vehicles with blue headlights, those involved in street racing, and blatant emissions violations. Getting the rice cars/ rice trucks off the streets one by one! Boom!:
http://www.ridelust.com/california-e...street-racing/
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/ap/e27d...41c.hlarge.jpg

HammerZ71 02-01-2011 08:37 PM

Blue, Indigo and purple have the shortest wavelength of all colors of the spectrum, as such, seeing distance clearly is impeded when using blueish lights.

Also, DOT studies have shown that there is about a third greater glare seen by oncoming traffic when using these lights.

If blueish lights have a "DOT Approved" stamped on the packaging, they still are not legal, most people don't realize that in the US, the DOT has no authority to either approve or disapprove lights. Rather, the burden is up to the manufacturer to certify that the light is up to any and all applicable standards.

If you are stopped and your lights are shown to be "not white" by an in-field beam tester, you can be given a ticket, which you will in most occasions be given a certain amount of time to rectify, with proof, or you will be subject to a fine.

Although it's just not a good idea to run blue or blue tinted lights, contrary to statement made in this thread, it is NOT a felony to be caught with blue headlights.

TheBigRedOne 02-01-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 2402524)
\
Although it's just not a good idea to run blue or blue tinted lights, contrary to statement made in this thread, it is NOT a felony to be caught with blue headlights.

In my state it DEFINITELY is. I know my state laws far better then you do.

PurplDodge 02-01-2011 09:18 PM

Well, that is one California law I can agree with.

jasonw 02-01-2011 09:36 PM

In California, it is illegal, however, I can find no mentioning of it being a felony except in extreme cases. If you can show me, in type, where it says its a felony, I will concede the point to you.

Extreme cases: its only a felony if the officer can prove you intended to use the blue headlights to impersonate an officer (or other emergency vehicle) and/or intend to use them to help you commit a crime. Otherwise, after a few "fix it" tickets/court sessions, it can be considered a misdemeanor.

I even confirmed that by reading a few comments posted by California police officers in a police forum. Here is that forum.

TheBigRedOne 02-01-2011 09:48 PM

I could care less if you believe me or not. The son of a man who worked in my shop just went through this about a year ago. He had a show car with strobes in the lights, and 10k HID's. He had them on in a parking lot with some other cars at an impromptu "Car show" and was arrested by El Cajon police who said he was doing this and that. He ended up with a 6 month sentence served at VDF in Vista. He paroled early and now has a felony on his record. All for some blue lights. In San Diego they don't screw around with this blue headlight/HID nonsense. HID's have no place in reflector housings, or on anything the didn't come from the factory in. External lighting equipment is a completely different story.

The law is the law, its a simple as that. It's not worth the time and hassle kids. Just don't break the law. Simple.

redheadhunter21 02-01-2011 11:25 PM

Well this story just doesnt seem right, cops cant go onto private property and arrest someone for his blue lights and strobes.
Now the second he got onto public roads thats a different story, if this is really the case he needs a new lawyer forsure.

HammerZ71 02-01-2011 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne (Post 2402628)

The law is the law, its a simple as that. It's not worth the time and hassle kids. Just don't break the law. Simple.

The law is the law, 'tis true, but calling an INFRACTION a FELONY would be one more example of not having the slightest clue what the hell you're talking about. Strobes is another story, but we are talking headlights here.

Jason, as usual is spot on. The lights would have to be used in such a way as to be impersonating an officer of the law or emergency vehicle in the commitment of a crime to be a felony. Headlights wouldn't cut it, would have to be strobes or lights behind the grill.

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne (Post 2402576)
In my state it DEFINITELY is. I know my state laws far better then you do.

Based on your IP address, I've read the statute in your state, where you know the laws so much better than I do (and I've worked in law enforcement btw). Would you like me to paste it in this thread or give you the opportunity to back up your statement?

TheBigRedOne 02-02-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 2402758)

Based on your IP address, I've read the statute in your state, where you know the laws so much better than I do (and I've worked in law enforcement btw). Would you like me to paste it in this thread or give you the opportunity to back up your statement?

Go for it. Because if you had actually looked at my IP address, you would realize that I'm not even in California right now.

Oh, and moot point. The law is the law, and aftermarket HID's are illegal. Period. Blue HID's are just a way to draw attention to yourself. Blue HID's = illegal in all 50 states. No matter how you try and cut it.

HeyYou 02-02-2011 09:41 AM

I think it wasn't just the fact that he had blue lights, the STROBES would be the thing that really annoyed the police officer.

TheBigRedOne 02-02-2011 04:01 PM

Right, but neither of them seemed to have caught that detail. The combination of both are what got the guy into trouble.

dipsherry 02-02-2011 04:10 PM

blue hid's plus strobes in the headlights. i could see that being a major problem with johnny law

HeyYou 02-02-2011 04:12 PM

Yeah, around here, color isn't really that much of an issue, but, if you have strobes, no matter what color..... officer friendly isn't very friendly........

HammerZ71 02-02-2011 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne (Post 2403007)
Go for it. Because if you had actually looked at my IP address, you would realize that I'm not even in California right now.

Oh, and moot point. The law is the law, and aftermarket HID's are illegal. Period. Blue HID's are just a way to draw attention to yourself. Blue HID's = illegal in all 50 states. No matter how you try and cut it.

No, my issue is that you stated it's a felony. It's a traffic law violation, not even a misdemeanor, let alone a felony.

You go to jail for a felony, a traffic law violation isn't a whole lot more serious than posting bullsh*t nonsense on a forum without a clue, post after post after post...

redheadhunter21 02-02-2011 05:09 PM

^^^^Win........:icon_couchhide:

EricCartman 02-02-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 2403458)
No, my issue is that you stated it's a felony. It's a traffic law violation, not even a misdemeanor, let alone a felony.

You go to jail for a felony, a traffic law violation isn't a whole lot more serious than posting bullsh*t nonsense on a forum without a clue, post after post after post...

It really depends on the officer. He may decide that his is going to charge you with impersonating an officer, which in most states is a felony charge. It's one of those gray areas that would have to be settled in court. Definitely more of a headache than I would want to risk dealing with.

Cartman

HammerZ71 02-02-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by EricCartman (Post 2403530)
It really depends on the officer. He may decide that his is going to charge you with impersonating an officer, which in most states is a felony charge. It's one of those gray areas that would have to be settled in court. Definitely more of a headache than I would want to risk dealing with.

Cartman

I'd agree with you if we were talking strobes and then it would be a stretch unless he could show that it was in the act of committing a crime. But this thread is (or at least was) about bluish tinted headlights. Ain't no way that's getting construed as impersonating an officer.
I worked in the court system from 1994 until 2005, the testers for headlights have to be calibrated and certified just like radar speed detectors do and believe me, a headlight has to have almost no hint of white in it to fail. Way more blue is allowed than I would want to see on any headlight on the road.
As stated before, blue color on the spectrum offers way less visibility than white. Blue headlights are just a bad idea, but not a felony.

I've personally seen a truck with a red, rotating strobe globe light on top and the cop simply made the driver remove it on the spot, didn't even confiscate it nor write a ticket. Red is just as much of a violation as blue, as it's reserved by the DOT for emergency vehicles...

PurplDodge 02-02-2011 06:17 PM

Cant we all just agree that blue headlights suck and you shouldnt have them!

redheadhunter21 02-02-2011 06:24 PM

Pretty much my 6k's are as blue as I would want,

I know one thing I have red LED's mounted to light up the grille of my truck, I normally use them when Im at fires or parties, why they look cool IMO and have saved my truck from gettin hit at least 4 or 5 times.

Well I have them on a switch so I turn them off when driving on the road, and not always do I remember to turn them off, I have driven pass regular county cops and state troopers and neither times have I been bothered by them, they are not strobes but they are bright enough to see easily at night

TheBigRedOne 02-02-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 2403458)

So what have I posted that's bull****? Please, enlighten me.

99dodge318 02-02-2011 10:54 PM

bigred i really wouldnt start a fight with one of the sites admins!
it can get pretty ugly! lol

and to the op, did you get the low beam/high beam kit? or just the low beam?
for $30 im putting this on my parts list!

TheBigRedOne 02-03-2011 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by 99dodge318 (Post 2403925)
bigred i really wouldnt start a fight with one of the sites admins!
it can get pretty ugly! lol

Why? Are they infallible?

PurplDodge 02-03-2011 06:41 AM

Why do they care anyway? Who gives a **** what your state does. It sucks there anyway.

TheBigRedOne 02-03-2011 06:48 AM

Haha, CA is actually one of the best places to live. Easily the best climate in the entire Northern Hemisphere, the beach is 40 min from the ski slopes, sunshine year round. That and some kickass laws that deal with ricers and the like. CA FTW. Too bad I'm in Iceworld East Coast right now. :(

EndIsNear 02-03-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne (Post 2404154)
Haha, CA is actually one of the best places to live. Easily the best climate in the entire Northern Hemisphere, the beach is 40 min from the ski slopes, sunshine year round. That and some kickass laws that deal with ricers and the like. CA FTW. Too bad I'm in Iceworld East Coast right now. :(

Everything costs twice as much, laws for everything else sucks, it its supposed to have broken off into the ocean by now...

jasonw 02-03-2011 09:47 AM

Not to mention the state financial issues that their state legislature doesn't seem to be in touch with reality about.

Silver_Dodge 02-03-2011 11:26 AM

Lets get back on topic here. As much as i'd like to participate in a discussion about how much California sucks, a thread about HID kit is hardly the place for it.

4HoNdaDODGE 02-03-2011 03:19 PM

^^^^ hahahaha

TheBigRedOne 02-03-2011 05:19 PM

Sounds good. Lets talk about how much Retrofit HID's suck instead.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

Originally Posted by Daniel Stern - Optical Engineer
A headlamp isn't a flood lamp. With a flood lamp, we put electricity in one end, and we get light out the other end, and we don't really care where the light is, as long as it's in a big ("flood") beam. A headlamp is a much more complex animal, 'cause it has a much harder job to do. It has to maximize your distance vision while minimizing glare to other drivers. It has to light up everything that you need to see, BUT not light up areas that would detract from your ability to see what you need to see. The first point makes it very difficult to improve low-beam headlamps, because increases in seeing distance almost always bring with them higher glare.

RandyCummins 08-09-2011 07:37 PM

I bought the same kit from highdeflighting.com. Took me about 15-20 minutes to hook up and works amazing so far! Best 80 dollars ever spent

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ue7khj.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2cmxf1u.jpg

99dodge318 08-09-2011 08:39 PM

so did you get the hi-beam kit or low-beam kit?

im pretty sure im gonna buy some 6k lights but im not sure of which kit to buy!

wow the price has gone up too from $30 to $80 in 6 months!