2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help seat stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
leorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help seat stuck

My driver's seat will go forward, but will only go a few inches back. I have narrowed it down to be the rail that is next to the center. The door side seems to be free, but the other rail catches. The lock pins are moving freely with the lever and function correctly for the limited movement it has. Something is blocking it from going further, but I can't see anything there.

Anybody else had this problem? I thought I would ask before I take the entire assembly apart/out of the truck.

I have googled and searched and came up empty handed.

The truck is a 1999 2500 4x4 club cab. Seats are manual (NOT POWER)

Last edited by leorn; 02-01-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Truedge
Professional

I haven't had a problem with my truck. but these things are notorious for getting dirt and gunk in there on any vehicle. My guess is that is your issue.

Another common issue is the wire going to the release latches can either break or become gunned up as well, but if it releases then I'd bet it's dirty. The best way to clean this rail is to remove the seat and turn it upside down to get at and properly inspect the rail in question. This isn't the easiest thing to do and you may just get away with vacuuming and cleaning the rail out. You might have to use a pick to clean the rails channels. After cleaning spray a little lubricant on the channel but not too much or you'll be doing this again soon.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

yeah i pb blasted my seat rails hoped in the seat and went all the way forward and all the way back about 10 times!
motherf***er moves smoothly now! lol

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
leorn

It was working perfectly, then I slid it forward to take out tools. I'm thinking somehow a rock slipped into the track, or a piece of metal broke off and is jammed at the point where it stops.

For a few inches it slides like normal, so I really don't think its rusted. I guess I'll have to go perform exploratory surgery. It's 4 degrees right now, so it may wait a bit.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you get all the empty beer cans out too?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
leorn

is that what the metal was...I got some out, but there is what looks like a roller bearing that is loose and causing the jam. It sounds like I'm the only lucky winner to have this happen.

Quick Reply: Help seat stuck