2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motor wont start if Temp is below 40F°

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think a hair dry would be able to get it too hot.... or at least, you would have to be trying awful hard. It does hang out in the engine compartment after all. Not precisely a pleasant environment.
NEVER USE A HAIRDRYER TO DRY OR HEAT UP ELECTRONIC ASSEMBLIES.

Q: WHY?

A: The PCM contains components that are sensitive to ESD shock. ESD stands for Electrostatic Discharge. The hairdryer will impart a POSITIVE charge >20KV upon not only the case but, also at the connector pins and, if the charge is strong enough, it will flow from CASE to the inside components via ground legs of the ICs and diodes.

ON the insides of the ESD sensitive components, there are wirebonds as well as super fine traces made up of Au plating over Ni and Cu. When the hi-voltage reaches these components, the wirebonds (.0007-.001, Au wire) and/or the traces will POP like a fuse. There's also P/N junctions on some die as well as at the diode component level that will blow instantly.

Basically, things are going to pop like fuses thus, kills the PCM functionality to a degree. If it doesn't kill it, it may be sporadic failures or, latent failure during use.

The other problem is, when going from a COLD TEMP to HOT TEMP - what is witnessed?

A: Condensation is witnessed and, this means, moisture is present thus condensing on the outside of the case as well as on the inside of the PCM. The last thing you want to do here is to have a live PCM with condensation inside. This is a sure way to create potential for a SHORT.

Again, please do not use a hairdryer.

Regards,

CM

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
venado viejo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmckenna
This is common on some models due to a failure at the PCM level. I've now helped three people with this same failure mode- won't start at below X-temp.

Here's what I want you to do and, it's really simple. You're going to run a poor man's THERMAL CYCLING TEST on the PCM.

PROCEDURE:

REMOVE the negative lead (-) from the battery and wait 1-3 minutes for all power to bleed off to ground.

REMOVE THE COVER ON THE PCM.

REMOVE the THREE connectors at the PCM.

REMOVE THE PCM

TAKE THE PCM INTO THE HOUSE and allow it to warm to AMBIENT TEMP.

RE-INSTALL PCM INTO TRUCK

CONNECT THREE CONNECTORS

NOTE: MAKE SURE ALL power is off on the vehicle. NO lights are on, no radio is on, all doors are closed (DOME LAMP) is OFF etc etc PRIOR to connecting the NEG (-) BAT terminal.

RECONNECT NEG (-) BAT TERMINAL.

START TRUCK.

<IF> the truck turns over and it starts when PCM is at AMBIENT TEMP- you've got a failure at the PCM level and, most likely, it's going to be the ground control circuit and or COM. If this is the case, leave the PCM in the truck overnight and try to start it in the morning.

<IF> it does not start in the morning t AT COLD: repeat the above test for a total of five times to gain statistics in confidence level that a failure at the PCM level is indeed the root cause for failure and not a BAD CONNECTION. If it starts at AMBIENT TEMP all times, it's rooted at the PCM level.

<IF> the truck does not start under any of those tests, it's either going to be rooted in either the ignition or fuel delivery system level.

CM
I did what you suggested ........and the truck didnt start .
as always it crancks but motor wont run at all no even a sign .

Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, that rules that out.

Let me ask you this:

When you turn KEY <ON>, do you hear any clicking coming from the PDC box under the hood?

When KEY <ON> is initiated, the PCM enables the GROUND PATH for BOTH ASD and FUEL PUMP RELAY. Both relays will produce and audible click when the GROUND is switched in circuit. Listen for that and get back to me.

Do you own a multi-meter by chance?

There's quite a few things for what is called, a NO START CONDITION.

1. Crank Position Sensor is shorted, or, failed 5V pulse at input of PCM

2. Cam Position Sensor is shorted, or, failed to generate reference at input of PCM

3. B+ is not present - loss of source or, source is below the minimum acceptable limits for PCM operation thus, the PCM will not power to an <ON> state.

Those are the starting points. I would start with the simplest things first.

-Verify B+ at source (BAT) should be >12 volts.

-Verify SPARK.

HOW: Using a spare spark plug of known good working condition, attach it to a spare ignition wire of known good state.

REMOVE: coil wire off the coil and set aside.

ATTACH ignition wire with spark plug.

POSITION spark plug to CHASSIS GROUND.

START truck and look for spark across gap of plug. NOTE: You will need an assistant for this method. If it's just yourself, you can use a clamp to tie the plug to ground and place it in the window where you can see it.

Start with those two items first and report back.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 02-04-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
venado viejo

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
^^ i wonder how well it would work to use a hair dryer to blow hot air on the pcm for about 5-10 minutes to accelerate the warm up period without removing it from the truck. just get it warm, not hot.

to the OP, did this problem start with the Accel coil? if so, blow warm air on it too... then replace the damn thing.

since the stating fluid didn't help, i'd focus on electrical too.
I have tried before with a hair dryer and infra red light in coil ,module where the relays are (dont know the correct name), cap where the rotor is which is new.

i got the accel coil thinking that woul solve the problem and it didnt i got an other problem with that coil (the truck working perfect it turned off ,some one told me it was becouse that coil supplied more energy than the original coil which i dont kow what detected that + energy and turned off the truck i would have to wait 10+ min. so it could start again.

think she wants a heated room lolo

Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
venado viejo

This is my winter nightmare lolo

Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
tweeker909
Professional

That dont look like a 97. Badge says 2500? Got more pics?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
venado viejo

Originally Posted by tweeker909
i took te original badges of and i order this ones .... 4X4 sticker was made by a friend of mine

Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Stupid question maybe but when it doesnt start below 40f, could it be that your coolant is frozen in the block ? I know vehicles wotn start when they are frozen. Might want to check the coolant and see if its properly mixed.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 PM
venado viejo

Temp. at 11 am 43°F motor started just as if it was a brand new truck.

seems like it is time to do some bussiness lolo.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM
venado viejo

Originally Posted by tweeker909

Quick Reply: Motor wont start if Temp is below 40F°