2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with 1998 1500 V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Indee2025
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1998 1500 V8

I'm having an issue with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 magnum sport.

About 1 out of 4 times I first start the truck it will have a slow turn over and then make a sound like grinding gears in a manual to tell you to stop turning the ignition forward but if you dont hold it for a second over the initial sound the engine won't fire.

Today I had cranked the truck up first turn it fired right up and I went about my errands. When I got out of the truck i heard some clicking, fiddled with turning the ignition slightly forward and back to find the sweet spot where the truck is for sure off and the clicking stopped. Tried to crank engine and it started right up, needle went from 1 1/2 rpm to zero and died out-cranked again and heard the engine about to die so I gave it some gas to idle at just above 1 and after about 20 seconds I took my foot off and the truck stayed at 1 on its own. I drove it home and turned it off.

Went to start again right after I turned it off and the truck wouldnt start-relay box was clicking excessively to include door locks-pulled door lock fuse and doors stopped but relay box still clicking-pulled the I.O.D. fuse and all clicking stopped-got out of the truck and heard 1 more click then nothing.

Anyone know what this is about? Thanks in advance...

Quick Reply: Help with 1998 1500 V8