2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plenum problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
1995crow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plenum problems?

Hey guys Im fairly new here ive owned my dodge for about 6months now and to me it look like my plenum is blown and I have oil in my intake but no pingin or knocking going on and I check the pcv valve and it rattels and has sucktion while the truck is running Ao would it be the plenum?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either the PCV or the Plenum. Replace the PCV valve and see if the oil dries up. If not then it's your Plenum. You could also to the suction test. I haven't done this myself, but if you open your oil cap on the valve cover and place a paper towel over it and it tries to suck it in, then your plenum is blown.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

For our trucks, the best place to get the PCV valve is a dealership. Its usually under $10.

The units they sell at auto parts stores for our trucks are generics that fit thousands of vehicles, and actually don't work well at all for our motors.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed ^^^. After buying a few crappy ones from parts stores that didn't work right or made lots of noise, I only buy Mopar ones now.

I've heard that you can buy an untraviolet die from the dealerships. Apparently it is what they are using to check for plenum leaks. This assumes though that your PCV is working fine and not the cause of your oil in the intake.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
1995crow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so i tried the paper towel trick and it didnt try and suck it in at idle not sure about higher rpms so now im going to swing by the dealership tomorrow and see if the have a pcv valve and ask them about that dye silver was talking about

Quick Reply: plenum problems?