2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power problems please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 AM
dish_towel2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation power problems please help!!!

so to start the day off my trucks exhaust muffler broke in half, turns out the truck sounds good with no muffler. makes the day a little better cause i know i wont have to get an exhaust anytime soon.

i just went to go drop my girl off which is about 15min from my house, after leaving and getting back on the freeway i set my cruise at 65, started going up a small hill and the rpms started acting like it was hitting the rev limiter and the check engine light started flashing on and off. so i cut off the cruise and the light stopped, until i put it to the floor and the same thing happened. after taking an hr to get back i checked my trans fluid, it was a little below the hole so i added fluid to the middle of the cross hatches.

to explain it better when i get above 2500 rpm the engine kinda chugs, no backfire or missing just chugs and the trans seems to slip. i know i have been having a slight issue when im cruising my rpm will rise a few hundred then go back in a matter of seconds.

who ever had the truck before me put an axilery trans cooler in after the normal radiator integrated cooler, could this be causing a problem? also name off things to start checking, i dont really have any ideas...

Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 AM
dish_towel2000
Rookie

how do i post videos on this forum? i have a video that i think could help!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

You would have to upload the video to Youtube or Photobucket or another equivalent site, and then post the link they gave you here.

When you checked your transmission fluid, did you check it in neutral or park?

Flashing CEL usually means misfires. If the muffler was rusted enough that it broke in half on its own, you may want to get the catalytic converter checked, see if its plugged up. A plugged converter (or starting to get plugged) may cause these issues. Hit it with a hammer, if you hear any sort of rattling, its bad. An exhaust shop can also check it for you (pressure test, IIRC).

Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
dish_towel2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by jasonw
You would have to upload the video to Youtube or Photobucket or another equivalent site, and then post the link they gave you here.

When you checked your transmission fluid, did you check it in neutral or park?

Flashing CEL usually means misfires. If the muffler was rusted enough that it broke in half on its own, you may want to get the catalytic converter checked, see if its plugged up. A plugged converter (or starting to get plugged) may cause these issues. Hit it with a hammer, if you hear any sort of rattling, its bad. An exhaust shop can also check it for you (pressure test, IIRC).
Yea i found the problem, in the cat. Thanks though

Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The cat is clogged because the lower intake gasket is blown.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
dish_towel2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
The cat is clogged because the lower intake gasket is blown.
It wasnt clogged. Something struck the bottom causing the honey comb to break loose and plug up the system. I cut it open and it looked like a normal cat would.

Thanks for rhe info if i ever have that prob i will know were to look.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The flashing check engine light was probably misfires due to your blocked exhaust system (converter). A clogged or otherwise blocked converter will cause those sometimes.

If it says Dodge on the side, and it was made from 1994 to 2001, it has a blown plenum gasket (lower intake gasket). 99.9% of all Rams in that time period have this issue. Sometimes there are no big symptoms that will blow up a converter or cause you to lose large amounts of oil, but over time it does lower your power, gas mileage, and will eventually destroy the converter and oxygen sensors.

Quick Reply: power problems please help!!!