2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update: Fastman & other mods no no power, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM
trigger29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Update: Fastman & other mods no no power, please help

AAAGGHH this is the second time I'm typing this lol, somehow got booted off before. Thanks again to everyone's comments b4. I can't wait till I'm answering problems instead of asking help w/ them. Please...please help, lol. This would be a funner prob to solve if it wasn't my only vehicle.

Mods 1st round w/ no problems: direct fit JBA SS headers, gibson catback ss exhaust, new summit 8mm cables, replaced rear diff sensor w/ factory sensor to fix abs light/ brake light on dash.

Then installed Fastmant 52mm TB= all good driving around town but left to go to Airport & no power/ boggs down when you punch the pedal. Never never did that b4. My friend drove the truck back from airport & truck ran worse, no power & when climbing dirt road hills NO POWER! He stopped to check everything & Headers were glowing red, I know this is dangerous! Returned to Costa & tried this yesterday.

Installed new (BOSCH)up stream o2 sensor=nc/ no change
new pcv valve= nc
took off fast tb looked inside: there is a sheen of oil w/ tiny, tiny, tiny debris & it's cleaner towards the rear of the engine..... no pooling, but at this point I'm thinking it's a plenum thing... But no problems b4!! WTF, over???
Reinstall orig tb/ w/ new IAC valve(factory dodge)= nc...but the truck just seems a heck of alot cooler now after the short test drive.

What I have left to do:New TPS(dodge), new crank sensor(all parts are dodge factory)(Fastman said it sounded like this was the prob, but why no prob before?) If no luck on the above installs, I have a new direct fit magnaflow cat that I'm going to slap in.

I'm leaning to blown plenum/ clogged cat as advised in the earlier replies. Thanks again all. But I don't know. If it is bad plenum & it's better after cat install I know it won't last long!! Thanks again to everyone here for taking the time to offer your advice & input for my problem!!!!!All hail the elders LOL Puravida! -Noel-

Last edited by trigger29; 02-19-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now you did hook up the map sensor correcty?

map sensor would be the only thing you touched that plays with fuel

the fast man may have a blocked map sensor port or sum thing

and i also could be the clogged cat, but it just failed all it once?..hmm

Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
trigger29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thanks dodge ram 07!! Prob fixed= bad cat

Well... it's fixed...for now, hopefully it will afford me a little time to enjoy!! I do think I need to do the plenum thing. I brought down a magnaflow cat/ direct fit w/me to Costa. Yesterday, after replacing the TPS & crank sensor I drove to the border to put the cat on. When they welded the nipples onto the cat it distorted the hole for the longer y pipe & I couldn't make it work w/ out some hydraulic action. So, drove to the border, had to stop 5 min out because of seriously bogging down issues. I took out the front O2 sensor to relieve the back pressure, it did nothing to help w/ power but the temp was good...so, we crawled 26 miles to the border with a large hissing sound if you can imagine. I think I might need to change me trans fluid now as the O2 sensor port was blowing directly onto the trans pan. But, long story short is had the new cat put on, fired it up & WOW, what a beautiful sound!!!!! Before in park, the truck would bog a little when I revved it! Now, besides the killer sound it runs perfectly!!! So stoked on this end!! Ironically the dang cat decided to finally give up at the same time we installed the fastman 52. I guess there are always worse problems to have, right? Now, I can't wait to put the fastman back on!!!!!!Thanks to all who have viewed & commented on my previous post & this one!! Advice is always appreciated!! I think I'm going to do the hughes upgrade next. My suspension parts arrive in about a week. If there are no waves, we'll start on this! Thanks again everyone!! Puravida!-Noel-

Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad it worked out for you

i would get that plenum done soon, if you burning oil(leaky plenum) the burn oil will travel in the cat and clog the new one

Old 02-20-2011, 02:01 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

And as soon as you get the plenum fixed, get a tuner. SCT will really surprise you, how it wakes up your engine, especially with the upgrades you've done so far.

Quick Reply: Update: Fastman & other mods no no power, please help