2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slowly lossing engine power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slowly lossing engine power?

ok, this is whats up. for about a yaer now i have mostly been driving with the overdrive off. when i was under load, like passing or going up a hill on the highway, the truck would buck just a little, very little but obviusly notticeable.now i was on my way home from work, about a 10m drive, and i slowly started to lose power. so i gave more trottle and nothing; it didnt want to down shift and the rpms didn't rise. so now i let off the trottle and then reapply and the truck gradually loses power untill i finally have to pull over. now im on the side of the highway with the truck running but when i give it some throttle i get nothing it barly wants to move and the rpms also barly move. i shut down and sit for ten min, then start back up and its back to normal. i make it to my exit and its doing it again. im lost.i got engine codes checked at autozone and it tells me misfire on most cylynders.i was thinking tranny? also cat. converter? help

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

clogged cat, blown plenum.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel...

Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the throttle linkage working? Might be the TPS.

If you are getting missfire codes, check your wires. Check for burnt /cracked places. That will create a miss every time.

ALso, check your fuel injector connectors. YOu need those thin tiny metal wires that go around the connector and keep them snug. i found out that that will cause a missfire. Had the same problem as you with my 1996

Also, check the routing.

Quick Reply: slowly lossing engine power?