2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff Between Sport Models and Base?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005 | 11:54 AM
greenmachine
All Star
Default RE: Diff Between Sport Models and Base?

My Sporty is not a 4X4 it came factory with 318 and 3.55 gears.Yes they did change the bumper set up in the front and only the sport came with dual headlamps. As far as stickers and emblems mine has a double pinstripe w/ a small silver ram head logo on each door. Has anyone seen that before? I have not. Looks good. My truck also has four doors.

Old 06-29-2005 | 12:05 PM
1500sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: mxmancr250

OK, I feel ripped off now. I have the sport off-road with a bigger alternator and auxillary trans cooler but no trailer wiring or hitch of any kind, nor has one ever been installed. Since it was the off-road package too it was supposed to have the kick *** 17x8 wheels but the moron before me must have sold them on ebay and slapped on some not so cool factory wheels. [sm=bomb.gif] I was wondering about the digital read out thing above the mirror too, mine doesn't have one and I would like to put one in if it isn't too much trouble. Somone also mentioned that the off-road was supposed to come with 4.10 gears but my sheet didn't tell me what the gears were. Is it marked somewhere on the truck what gears you have?
I believe the digital overhead display is part of the travel convience group and not just the sport package.

Old 07-07-2005 | 09:50 PM
Trippen
|
Professional

If you looking for the trailer wireing on my 97 the "towpackage" was a little plug about center of the wire bundle between the tail lights just behind the rear step bumper. The Bumper is a 500lb tongue and 7000lb towing weight step bumper Painted with some fasica pieces on it. Havent compaired other bumpers if they have the same. Also On my 97 the axle ratios are on 2 spots under my hood. One on the hood itself in the underside the other is on the main cross brace near the electrical and belt diagram. Thought it was weird but both match.

I only have 2 stickers that say "Sport" on them they are red on the rear Quarter pannels of the truck Near the rear tail lights. What years had them on the hood insted?

Old 07-07-2005 | 11:37 PM
1969roadrunner
Professional

OK, I have done some homework here, I'm a Dodge nut, and I love to absorb as much info as I can, so I think I can help a little...

Alot of you are blending packages together, and there are alot of differences between them and also Models, sport or otherwise. Remeber, there is a standard Ram (ST), Ram SLT, and Ram SLT Laramie option for all models, Sport, 4x4, Ext. Cab, ect.

Off-Road Packages included lifts, inner-fender skirts on the bed, tow-hooks, skid plates, and oversized tires, a 3.92:1 rear, and other options, but not all had to be on the truck to be considered an Off-Road truck.

The Sport package was mostly frills, although the 5.9L (360cid) was standard instead of the 5.2L (318cid), the same as with the Off-Road packages (The 360s were favored in these applications due to their higher torque output.) Most Sports that I have seen still have the base 3.55:1 rearend, but everything except the free-floating Type 40s, 60s, and 80s that are found on heavy duty (2500/3500) Rams could be ordered (I've seen everything from 3.22:1 to 4.10:1.) The rears can be identified by stamping on the casing or stamped tags that are bolted to the cover, also, there is a tag on the underside of my hood - I have a '97. Again, not all options had to be present for the truck to be considered. (I have also seen several "Texas Sport" editions around here, most of them appear to be '96s, but I don't know if that was a factory or dealer option.)

Tow packages included tow-hooks, a hitch receiver, wiring for trailer brakes and lights, a suplemental transmission cooler, and other options, not all were needed.

Base models come with the 5.2L or even the 3.9L V-6 engine, a 5-spd manual or 4-spd automatic, and 3.55:1 rear ends.

There are also 4x4 Sport editions, which combine both packages together. Again, not every option was needed.

Interior packages, such as the Driver Convienece package where interior frills, such as the OTIS systems and overhead consoles, Infinity sound packages, leather seats, power seats, power/heated mirrors, map lights, cruise controll, and other features. Again, not everything was required.

The main mechanical difference between the Sport and regular Rams is the engine. While both could be exchanged, the 5.9L was standard on the Sport models, where as the 5.2L was standard on all regular Rams.

If you special ordered your truck you could get anything you wanted. Even today I could go to my local Dodge house and order a Ram 1500 SLT Laramie with a V-6, SRT badges, and a Daytona wing and paint stripe. If you want, and have the money for it, you can get it. To illustrate my point, go to www.Dodge.com, select the Ram 1500, and then click "Build & Price" Everything is initially presented as a package, but then you can select or deselect any and all options you want (so long as they would not interfere with each other after installation.) You can turn a Ram ST into an SRT-10 if you would like, just select the right options. Go try it out, it's kinda fun just to mess around with...

Old 07-08-2005 | 10:05 AM
Trippen
|
Professional

Thank you.....For all the info to my original question... Just glad to see soo many people have sports and there are so many differnces.. Mine originally was bought in Ohio moved to tx in 98. I bought it in 2002. Isnt carfax great. Peace all thanks again for all the great info.................

Quick Reply: Diff Between Sport Models and Base?