2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission fluid pan and transfer case question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid pan and transfer case question

I just bought a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 sport quad cab (last night actually) I took it to my mechanic today to have it checked out and there is some transmission fluid on the bottom of the transmission fluid pan and on the transfer case. He says The transmission pan gasket needs to be replaced but he also said he needs to pull the transfer case and split it apart and replace the seal there also. Now to my question. Is it necessary to replace the transfer case seal when the transmission pan gasket is leaking? Also he wants $480 to do this job does that sound about right?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles on the truck?
I'd replace the pan gasket myself first, then see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then do the transfer case seal.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
nolazach
Veteran

I would do the pan gasket yourself, its pretty easy to do, and add a drain valve in to make it even easier next-time.

A filter kit that comes with a pan gasket is $15. There are a few DIYs to help you with this.
All you are going to need is a 9/16 socket, and a T-25 torx screwdriver. Shouldn't take you long at all. Now if you add the drain valve (like $3 at most stores) you are just going to drill a 1/2" hole right next to the magnet. I can get you a picture if you like....
Then tighten the drain down with two 3/4" sockets. The plug itself is 7/16" I want to say.. and it makes draining your transmission pan much easier.

So for $20 you can fix the pan gasket, and its really easy *if you are worried about the gasket moving just tie some thread to holes at four corners, once you get a few bolts started remove the thread....

Then if after you do this and its still leaking then you know its the transfer case...

LOL....I type to slow, second time today, someone beat me to it....

Solid advice though...

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the whole idea of NOT having a drain plug is so that when it comes time to change the fluid, you'll replace the filter and adjust the bands as well.

NOW, if you can do that through the drain hole, HATS OFF TO YA!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Novarider
Captain

Forgot to mention it has 235k miles. The motor runs great and doesn't smoke at all and the transmission fluid doesn't smell at all. My mechanic even said the transmission itself was fine just the pan was leaking.

I will probably end up replacing the pan gasket myself but I was just wondering if the transfer case is a common place to leak.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they tend to leak at the extension housing seal, BUT reagardless of whether or NOT its common; if its leaking, it needs to be fixed

Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matty675
the whole idea of NOT having a drain plug is so that when it comes time to change the fluid, you'll replace the filter and adjust the bands as well.

Drain plug is still a great addition because it makes the job of doing the filter and all the rest so much easier because you can drain the fluid out first, then remove the pan and do the rest. So much cleaner this way.

Another use for a drain plug that I have seen is for an emergency fix when your trans is overheating. You can quickly drain out the hot fluid and replace it with new colder fluid. I used to know a guy that carried trans fluid in his ice chest because his jeep was prone to overheating on some of the steeper trail sections. If it did, he'd pop open the drain plug into an empty bottle, and refill with the chilled trans fluid. Brought temps right down and he could continue on without worry.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Originally Posted by matty675

I don't get what your saying.....

You should still change the filter, having a drain plug makes it 1000000000000x easier.

and a lot cleaner...

Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
tomdel45
Amateur
Default Transmission fluid pan and transfer case question

why would he say you should replace the seal in the transfer case when it is not close to the trans. pan ??

Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM
tomdel45
Amateur

on a another note . how do I make a new post?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid pan and transfer case question