2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat and rad hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
MRFIX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Thermostat and rad hose

Hello everybody, first off would like to start by thanking all of you here keeping this great forum up! I been here for awhile now reading a lot of useful topics but the time has come and I need to post and hopefully get an answer!

1998 RAM 1500 - 2DR - 4 x 4 - 5.2L 318

First issue im having is what im thinking is the thermostat, but here is whats going on. The engine warms up and seems to be running ok, but the temperature gauge only goes up to between 0 and half (which is where it should be whens its all working) so pretty much if you look at the gauge its only at the 1/4 of it and it does not go up. Now the air is not blowing hot what so ever on any blower settings, low or high. It only blowing warm enough to defrost the windows, we are hitting -40C and up here so driving with barely warm air is insane! I figured replacing thermostat should be a DIY, i am pretty handy with tools and dealership is quoting me $200 to replace it and saying that on '98 its really hard to replace...Is that true? Because thermostat is only $12 so $180 in labor? Really? Need your advice guys!

Second, I was told that I need the lower rad hose replaced as my antifreeze has too much acid and it ruined the hose. And again the hose is only $25 but they are charging me over $200 in labor again. I was also told that it shouldnt be too hard to replace the rad hose because its pretty accesable and only holding on clamps. Please advise how to change the rad hose without running into more problems.

Once again, thanks for having this website and sorry for such a long question!

Cheers

Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Dont let them idiots take advantage of you! Thermostat may take care of your problem, It is not that hard to do, remove shroud, clutch fan, alternator, a/c pump and mounting bracket for all of the above and you will be golden.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM
MRFIX

Is there any fluids I would have to drain or refill when replacing the thermostat?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Just the antifreeze. When unbolting the a/c pump (assuming you have a/c) just remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the mounting bracket dont take the hoses off the top you will have a mess lol

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFIX
Is there any fluids I would have to drain or refill when replacing the thermostat?
Coolant. And all of the Above step.
Radiator Hose, Since u are replacing it anyway, you can just Split it with a Razor Knife, so u don't have to fight the Rotten hose off the radiator.

Repair Manual suggest 1.3hr labor. If you never done it b4 but handy with car repair, i would say 1.5hr-3hrs. The 5.2 is consider Harder to do than most thermostats.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
MRFIX

OK im going to have to try that, but seems im draining the antifreeze perhaps I should replace that rad hose at the same time too or thermostat and the rad hose dont use the same antifreeze? Im confused! <- not a car geek!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Originally Posted by MRFIX
OK im going to have to try that, but seems im draining the antifreeze perhaps I should replace that rad hose at the same time too or thermostat and the rad hose dont use the same antifreeze? Im confused! <- not a car geek!

yeah drain the antifreeze, it is a suggestion to replace the hose that runs from the top of radiator to the thermostat. Because they tend to dry rot and crack, and will just **** you off when you button it all back up and have a leak from that hose, and have to take it all apart again lol. And no do not use the antifreeze you drained buy new

Quick Reply: Thermostat and rad hose