2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stupid question WTF is plenum??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
joeyd208
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question WTF is plenum??

ok i have been seeing threads alot about this plenum gasket so can someone please explain to me what that is? and how do i know if it needs to be replaced or what? my truck has been nothing but problems for me and now its bout ready to get out of the transmission shop, so i was wondering what that is? how do i know if its going out, or leaking? and what does it look like? thank you its a 95 ram 1500 5.2L 4x4 automatic trans.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The various threads will tell you how to see if its leaking (being a 1995, I can almost guarantee you that it is), and how to fix it.

What it is: when we use the term plenum, we are actually referring to the "plenum gasket" which is the gasket between the intake manifold and the steel plate below it. The two metals expanding at different rates, and the factory using bolts that are to long, cause the gasket to fail and leak oil into the intake manifold.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 PM
joeyd208
Rookie

ok well when i got the truck from the guy he said that they had installed a crate motor like 10k miles before i got it, but then again he also said the truck was a good truck and it has been the biggest pile of SH#T i have ever owned in my life and i have owned some crappy vehicles before lol! the motor looks clean it dont leak anywhere the oil is always where it should be and it runs strong that much i will give it! the tranny, and rear end have been my only major problems so im not too sure? i was searching for how to tell if plenum is leaking didnt really find too much on it more or less just on how to replace it but nothing to really explain how to tell when it needs to be replaced?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a crate less than 10k old then it's not bad yet.

Simple way to see is to remove your air hat and look for oil down inside the throttle body. However, that could also mean a bad PCV valve.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 AM
joeyd208
Rookie

Originally Posted by Annihilator_X9
If you have a crate less than 10k old then it's not bad yet.

Simple way to see is to remove your air hat and look for oil down inside the throttle body. However, that could also mean a bad PCV valve.
ok cool ill check it out and see if its gunked up and ill replace that also

Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Here are some pics of mine when I fixed it .

[IMG][/IMG]
Metal pan removed
[IMG][/IMG]

Engine with plenum removed
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Done
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: stupid question WTF is plenum??