2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
TRTPLAYER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problems

ok i have a 99 dodge 1500 4wd and the other day driving down the high way i heard a loud clunk and it julted the truck didnt know what it was so kept going and i stopped at a stop light and as i put the brake on the transmission had this very loud clunk when i stopped and when i tried to go it wouldnt move went through all the gears and stuff but whenver i stop it is acting like its in neutral and when i give it a little gas it catches and bangs the whole truck and goes into drive idk what the heck is going on....... any help please

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It might already be too late, but stop driving it! You've got an oil flow problem and driving it that way will destroy the transmission in short order.

If you haven't already replaced the anti-drainback check valve with a length of transmission cooler hose, do that. While the line's open, flush the cooler. Do a fluid and filter change, and while you're in there replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid and adjust the bands. If these things don't fix it, it's rebuild time.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:50 PM
thompson1986
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i knew how to rebuild a transmission

Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thompson1986
i wish i knew how to rebuild a transmission
When my tranny blew, it felt like someone lightly rear ended me. Then it started to rev high. It ended up being the planetary gears. They were shredded to bits and pieces. If you lived close to me in Cali, I'd have no problem giving you a hand. Best of luck bud.

Quick Reply: tranny problems