2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check engine light code-PO340

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Shuckapeafarms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light code-PO340

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L. I recently tuned the truck up with Platinum 4 plugs, Accel high intensity cap and rotor, and Taylor wires. The truck was running excellent however, the other day the check engine light comes on and I noticed the engine was a little rough but nothing radical. When I take off it has all kinds of power.
My OBD2 scanner got this code:
PO340-Cam Position Sensor
A Bank 1CKT
Malfunction
I haven't owned a dodge since the mid 80's so I'm not up on all the specifics.
I am assuming this is the cam position sensor located in the distributor. I have changed many a ICM's on the chevy but not the dodge. Is this a difficult task or pretty straight forward? Any specifics I would need to know changing it out?? I know from changing the cap and rotor it looks like it should be a lot of fun given the engineers who design these never work on them!
Thanks for any advice as it will be well appreciated.
Just for the record I have significant mechanical skills just am not up on the dodge..........probably should pick up a Chiltons too!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site

I will move this over to the 2nd Gen for more help.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

this is going to sound weird, but with plugs, its usually a hit and miss with our trucks....some people use platinum 4 plugs and it works, some use them and they make the truck run like ****.....i have Mopar champion coppers, and its the best plug ive put into it.

and the wires...make sure they arent touching one another, for they can create misfires, Search for the TBS wire routing on the forum, it shows how you should put the plug wires with the looms....and that code might have something to do with plugs/wires....reset the PCM, and see if it comes back on.

Quick Reply: Check engine light code-PO340