2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlamp Wiring Harness power rateings

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
VegasGene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Headlamp Wiring Harness power rateings

Hi guys I need a little help. I just got some new Sylvania headlamps for my truck and I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get info on what the v/a/w power rating is for the headlamp harness in the truck. My son had a Ford Focus he put higher power headlamps in and it burned out the plugin for the bulbs and I want to make sure this isnt going to happen on my truck before I do this.

The truck is a 1996 Ram 1500 V8 and the Sylvania lamps are rated at 12.8v at 65/45w.

I have looked everywhere I can think of for this info but it dosent seem to be available from anyone. tried 3 different dealerships and they don't know. I have a service manual on CDROM from Dodge and it dosent give this kind of information or i'm just not technically proficient enough to know how to read it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gene

Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the gauge of the wire, then compare it to a chart.

You don't need to worry though. Those Sylvania bulbs won't hurt your existing wiring.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Stock bulb wattage is 65w for high beams and 45w for low beams for a 9004 type bulb. Unless you specifically buy a bulb that states "high wattage" (or equivalent) on the packaging, its the factory wattage. "Brighter" or "whiter" or equivalents don't necessarily mean more wattage.

Quick Reply: Headlamp Wiring Harness power rateings