2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Trac-Lok problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 PM
devious duck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Trac-Lok problem.

So I changed out my rear diff fluid and found bits of metal in the bottom of the diff. The parts look to be the Retainers for the Clutch disc packs. Is this a known problem with the Trac-Lok from Chrysler? The guy that i bought the truck from is a mechanic at the local Dodge dealer and had previously told me that there was a repair kit for the Trak-Lok. Anyone know about what repair cost i'm looking at here? Any advice would be great.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Ive heard they had problems with that in the earlier years of the trac lock. They do make a rebuild kit for it. Completeoffroad.com has one for 80, that's new clutch packs and retaining clips.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
devious duck

Awesome, i'll check out their site and do some shopping around for what the labor rate on it will be. I'm out here in Virginia Beach and there are plenty of offroad shops that should specialize in something like this. The truck is all stock for now. I'm just trying to make it a reliable daily driver.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

I have the exact same problem, just bought this kit, superfast shipping from them, it's still sitting on my shelf, as i bought a detroit instead http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList....D=111&CatID=91

Quick Reply: Factory Trac-Lok problem.