2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does that sound like a tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does that sound like a tensioner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJHWAif4wv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2XSQNYimM

Does that sound like a tensioner, or a pulley problem? Doesn't sound like lifters ticking to me, but I could be wrong ...

Pardon the messy motor, it's winter still around here. Too cold to clean it ... everything freezes! LOL

Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i couldnt even hear a noise on the vid, but im also deaf sometimes depends on the freq. of the noise, damn f16s!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

couldnt really tell..... grab the fan clutch blades and wiggle it side to side. if it has play in it that may be your problem. I had one go bad on me and it made a annoying *** sound, so I picked one up at the junk yard.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i can't tell either from the video. remove the belt and spin each and every pulley by hand, also wiggle each one side to side. they should be tight, smooth, and spin quietly.

on the first video i saw the belt jumping some. could be water pump bearings, could be tensioner. my belt jumped like that when the water pump bearings came apart and spit themselves out on the ground. my explorer jumped like that when the tensioner spring broke.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie
Default Whining bearings

Loosen your serpentine belt enough to slip it clear of tensioner and idler hubs. Remove centre bolt from both the idler and tensioner hubs. Remove hubs and clean all grime from both sides of each brg. Using a small pick or tiny flat blade screwdriver gently pry the rubber brg seal from each side of each brg. Wash the brgs out with solvent and a small brush. Repack with grease and re-assemble.

Spray a little penetrating oil into tensioner recoil spring and work it back and forth from the tight to loose position until it feels free and smooth.

1/2 hour fix and then you will know if your squeal originates there. Otherwise consider your other rotating members, ie; alternator brgs, ps ect.

By the way, it's always wise to disconnect neg bat terminal prior to working around rotating members.

Last edited by keepitrunning; 03-27-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: caution

Quick Reply: Does that sound like a tensioner?