2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fixing rust spots

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:11 PM
moparman95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing rust spots

My 95 ram shortbed is in need of rust repair. Its starting to rust around the rear wheel wells. The front fender is peeling on the passenger side and there is a bubble in the drivers side fender too. I've heard from a few different people that the 2nd gen. doors are known to rust eventually but mine havent started there yet. What would my best solution be for fixing the rust spots. Does anyone know if you can get patch panels for the rear wheel wells?

Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM
zeekxxx
Captain
Default RE: Fixing rust spots

The only sure fire way to attack rust is to grind it out or cut the whole area out. I did some bodywork and I thought I had ground out the rust spot. About 3 weeks later it bubbled up. So now the ony thing good enough for me is to cut it out and replace it with new metal. Rust is a total bitch cause it hides everywhere. Check jcwhitney.com for repair panels. I know I saw some there but not sure what year.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Tani1500
Champion

i agree with zeek, you need to grind out all of the rust, first try this and see if it comes back before you by new panels. grind down all of the rust and alittle further to make sure you get most of it. then go over it with a very fine peice of sandpaper to make sure its totally gone. the crub it with a heavy coat of soapy and wash it off. then go to the hardware store and by a paint call rust destoyer or something that says it desinded to KILL rust. then over coat it with some paint to match. Most rust destoyer paints are a dark red color. that should take care of it. if it still comes back then you may need to do some metal work. hope that helps you.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
moparman95
Rookie

Is there a certain grit disc thats used for grinding out the rust? I'm going to try and fix the spots that way before i get into welding new panels in. Thanks for all of the help and advice.-Dave

[ul][*] [*] [*]
[/ul]

Quick Reply: Fixing rust spots