2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
rgi52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken tube

While under my truck (1998 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L) I noticed two small lines running from the transfer case to the right side of the front axel (an axel coupling point?) and one of the lines was broke. No idea what they are or what they operate. Any help?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they operate the CAD, central axle disconnect.
there is vac on one when in 2wd, and the other in 4wd.
you'll need to repair/replace the lines with steel tube and/or soft vac hose.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

anything that will hold vacuum is an adequate repair.

notice that the only steel section is where it runs along the transmission cross member. this area is subject to damage from dragging over rocks, etc. mine were mangled.

if your steel lines are damaged, its probably perfectly ok to run new vac line from the t-case, over the TOP of the transmission, and down to the cad, and avoid the risk of damage. just watch out for moving parts, hot exhaust, etc. the exhaust pipe might cause this to not work.

you can buy steel line in various lengths and diameters at the parts store. it might be called brake line or gas line. you can bend it by hand or use a cheap tubing bender to make it look good. wire tie it to the frame and put rubber vac lines at each end. done.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-15-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM
alegar
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
anything that will hold vacuum is an adequate repair.

notice that the only steel section is where it runs along the transmission cross member. this area is subject to damage from dragging over rocks, etc. mine were mangled.

if your steel lines are damaged, its probably perfectly ok to run new vac line from the t-case, over the TOP of the transmission, and down to the cad, and avoid the risk of damage. just watch out for moving parts, hot exhaust, etc. the exhaust pipe might cause this to not work.

you can buy steel line in various lengths and diameters at the parts store. it might be called brake line or gas line. you can bend it by hand or use a cheap tubing bender to make it look good. wire tie it to the frame and put rubber vac lines at each end. done.
Great answer

I say someones 4x4 crapped out, also check for a good vac after you fix those lines lord knows how much junk got sucked up into them, mud, water, grit. A little compressed air ( I mean a little dont blow up anything ) and some brake cleaned will clear out any stuff that got sucked up in there.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

or install a posilok and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Broken tube