2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FUEL LEAK! need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
d0dg3n3wb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FUEL LEAK! need help ASAP!

One of the tank straps broke on my 97 ram 2500, its a 5.9 v8 gasoline if that helps. But anyways I replaced the strap and then when I started it up it was leaking fuel. I removed the strap again to see if it punctured anything while putting it back up but I can't find anything. I don't wanna turn the truck back on to see if I see anything dripping again because I don't want anything to catch on fire or anything so is there any other way to check where it's leaking from? Any ideas of what it could be? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With someone under the truck (under the gas tank) turn the key to the "on" (not start) position. Doing this will cause the fuel pump to prime the cylinders, and in doing so, will cause it to leak again. Then just have the man under the truck look carefully for the leak.

It may be necessary to repeat this a few times until the leak is found.

Oh, and make sure you're outside whilst performing this check... dont wanna spill gas in the garage where a pilot light (water heater, dryer, etc.) may ignite the fumes.

Also, note that the person under the truck is at risk of getting gas on them, so I suggest having someone you're not too fond of perform that part of the procedure.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-15-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM
d0dg3n3wb

Thanks for the help sounds easy enough, hopefully I can find something. As for the person under the truck I might have the guy that "helped" me fix the strap to begin with hahah

Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

No problem man.

If I were to venture a guess on the location of the leak, I'd say its probably where the fuel line ties in to the fuel pump, which means you'll have to drop the gas tank to fix it.

If you discover that my guess is correct, there's a write-up in the faqs section on this site that details how to drop the tank. I believe it is entitled "DIY fuel pump replacement" or some such.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
d0dg3n3wb

Alright thanks. If it was the line would it leak alot? Just wondering because when I first noticed it was leaking I was pulling out of my apartment complex and I seen in my side mirror a line of gas coming from my truck and after i parked it there was a pretty decent size spot on the ground from where it was leaking.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Depends on how big the hole is. Where was the spot in relation to your truck? Under the tank? Or further up (towards the engine)?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 PM
d0dg3n3wb

It was under the tank.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Knowing that, I'd say that I'm 90% sure that the leak is from the pump/gas line connection, or possibly that the little neck broke off of the FP when your strap broke.

Still, It would be wise to perform the check that I outlined to verify. If it's coming from the top of the tank, you'll know that it has to do with the fuel pump.

Here is a link to the FAQ I mentioned earlier: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...fuel-pump.html

Good luck, keep us posted on what you find.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 PM
d0dg3n3wb

Alright will do, thanks again.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Just another thought: if turning the key on doesn't reproduce the leak, shake the rear of the truck and see if that does it.

If shaking the truck causes the leak, it would probably be coming from the filler neck connection, which is also located on top of the tank.

Quick Reply: FUEL LEAK! need help ASAP!